Questions About Clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieGirl89

Reaction score
Ok so, I've never actually done a full body clip on a horse before, let alone a mini. Since I am planning on showing my mini's possibly this summer, I have a few questions. First, these minis have been clipped before, but I'm not sure how to go about it, I know about clipper lines, but I don't know what size to use on them. It's been around 30° every day so far, I have 2 blankets with no hoods, and they are outside 24/7 with a lean-to. I don't know if I should clip or not since it is pretty chilly out, and they do not have stalls. I plan on probably just showing my buckskin gelding in halter, since he is already trained there won't be much work involved with him
default_smile.png
He squares up so beautifully practically on command. I can't wait to get him in a show ring, but alas, I need help in the clipping department.

Second, what is the best clippers to buy on a budget? I'm a little strapped for cash, since my paint mare was in a bad accident and her vertebra is literally pushed up through her back(not thru skin) and she is out of commission, but the vet is coming out Tuesday to check her out. Anyways! So clipping info, because YouTube is not very helpful from what I can tell. So fire away, whatever you think is helpful, videos and pics are very welcome!

...Also I know about clipping against the grain of the hair growth as well. And brushing them a lot first so the clippers can get thru the coat easier right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I live its still winter and below freezing most days (and every night) so clipping is a ways off yet. I always bathe the horse first to get the dirt out of the coat, the blades will stay sharp longer clipping a clean coat and not heat up so much, so my rule of thumb is - if its to cold for a bath its to cold to clip. Even with a blanket (and for my horses a stall at night) I would not be confidant they would stay comfortable until at least late April. Different areas have different climates of course and warm up quicker but that's how it is here. I know of people who begin clipping now but even they don't do a full body clip yet and once they take off more than a trace clip they double blanket day and night (which requires them to have 4 or more blankets per horse).

It's pretty cold right now to clip horses. If your show is within the next four weeks - you may have to just get by with a neck and head clip - otherwise, skip the shows this early - its too cold to clip an outside horse.

First when is your first show. You don't NEED to have them clipped until about a week or so before the first show and yes, if it is your first time clipping you'll want to "practice" so add that to the week or so. If you start brushing and using something like a dog shedding comb on them now, you won't have as much to wash and clip later. I like to wash first (not always possible - weather wise) but a clean coat is easier to clip and better for your blades.

I use a #10 blade (at Nationals #15) on the body and #30 thru 50 on the face (40 on ears and over eyes). When you first start you don't need to do all of this. Just clip them all over with a #10 and get them really clean and feet shiney and that should be good for your local show.

You don't say how many you have nor how many you plan to show - on down the road. If it's only one you can get by with a clipper such as an A-5 (still about $150). However, if you plan on doing more than 2 horses in the near future, IMO a double K (about $300) is the better investment. The A5s get hot in your hand and have to stop while the motor cools off. The DoubleKs has the motor and clipper seperated and stay cooler and clip longer. Everyone will have their own "favorite" brand. Hope some others hop in and let you know of any "deals" they have seen.

You can still work with them on standing, obstacle obedience, etc. without doing a lot of clipping now.

Have fun and good luck.

P.S. when you first start clipping don't think it has to be "done" all at once. You can clip in parts like legs one day body another time and face another time. Do this to give yourself a break as well as the horse since your first time will probably be slow. The horse will probably get tired of just standing around waiting. Some are better than others. Patience and practice will get you better and quicker.

P.S. when you first start clipping don't think it has to be "done" all at once. You can clip in parts like legs one day body another time and face another time.
Just a note on this advice, if you go this route (which is easier on both your back and your nerves especially in the beginning
default_smile.png
)don't let too much time elapse between parts. If you do you will have a patchwork horse as each portion is at a different point in regrowth. Also if you clip part and then plan to reclip it when you do the rest you will still have 2 different colours if you let the first grow out too much.

I love my andis agc two speed clippers. If you have several sets of #10 blades, you can change them often--feel them on your hand--if they are really warm on your hand, you want to change them. When I remove the blades, I blow as much hair off by mouth and put them into a dish of blade wash or kerosene. When I put them back on, I wipe the kerosene off as completely as I can and use a stiff brush (usually a firm toothbrush) and brush all the extra hair out. Be sure to brush away from the cutting edge and not into it so as to dull the blade. Not sure how to say that. Then I put a bit of clipper oil on the blade and put it back on. We can even do dirty horses with this method and usually will get 3 to 5 horses done with 3 sets of blades. If you watch your blades for getting hot, you will not have your clippers get hot as quickly. It may still get hot so you need to let it cool when it does.

We live near St louis and won't clip till the end of March at the earliest. I do have blankets for all of them--twice around--and keep them in a stall. Having them run free in a lot with run in shed and putting blankets on the just would not work for me. They would find a way to get them off and then being outside, they would get even colder than in the stall. I would wait till about 2 weeks before the show and clip him. If you don't do it all at once, try to do complete sections like the full body on one side then on the other, then the neck/head and then legs and try to do it over only 2 days time because they seem to grow rather quickly this time of year for some reason.

Also, be sure that you actually put your hands on him and know if his ribs or hips are showing or if he is really as fat as he looks because the hair can fool you otherwise. You can get him in shape if you use your hands to guide you, but can be sadly shocked when you clip him if you don't keep a close watch.

Good luck.

So much information lol. I should have been more specific about showing, there are no shows up here for another 3 months so I have plenty of time. I just wanted as much time to practice as possible. I have 4 minis to practice on but only 3 should be showing. I thought it was way too cold to clip right now, if it stays more consistant up here maybe in the high 40's that would be a much better situation. So much helpful info you guys!

If you aren't showing for 3 months I'd wait at least one more month maybe 6 weeks before clipping. Follow the grain of the hair. Go with it. So on their belly don't just shave straight down or across it. The hair kinda grows at a 45 degree angle. Follow the angle of the hair to end up with less clipper marks. Also use long smooth strokes. Make sure the blade is laying flat against the body at all times to avoid making chop marks. Faces are going to be the hardest for you and your mini. I do the body first on a horse new to clipping so they can get used to the buzz and feel of the clippers.

Another trick I use is a slightly longer blade against the coat. I use a 7F BUT it can cut your horse if not used properly so I don't suggest it if you've never clipped before. If you do decide to use the 7F against the coat stick to the main body and legs. Stay away from areas with loose skin like the tuck, neck and face. To easy to nick them. Use the 10 on these areas.

I always wash and make sure my horse is 100% dry before clipping. Not only is it tons better on your equipment but you will get a much better looking clip if you are clipping a clean dry coat. I only use blade wash on my blades. Never kerosene or fuel. I know some people do this but after 10 years of grooming I've learned it's better to use only products intended for blades on them. But everyone has their own way.

The first few times will be tough but you'll be a clipping pro in no time. Just make sure you spend the money on good equipment the first time around or you'll just be wasting money. Oster, Andis, and Wahl all make good clippers. Make sure you get a professional grade with interchangeable blades. You'll end up spending between $150-$250 on clippers and $20-$30 per blade. I'd have 3 or 4 handy.

Alrighty, so definitely wash them first, they're filthy and they're gonna need a good bath when the weather breaks. Have at least 3-4 extra blades and blade wash with a stiff brush. Use a #10 for the body, don't do it all at once but don't space it too long because you don't want 2 different colors on your horse from hair growth. Clip with the grain of the hair, and lay the clipper flat against the coat, in long smooth strokes to avoid trail lines. I guess there really is no going around less than $150 clippers unless I want to waste my money pretty much. At least they will be an investment
default_biggrin.png
And I'm not looking forward to clipping their faces, just sounds like it's gonna be a pain, but hey, gotta learn right? Ok so I'm definitely waiting until probably the end of April, since I'm incredibly close to Lake Michigan, the weather is pretty wacky and I don't trust it. I don't want to make a mistake and have my mini's too cold because the weather is too crazy.

I should have said that if you could clip legs one day, the body, next day etc. so you and horse don't get so tired and grumpy. You could start like 6 weeks before the show and totally clip every 2 weeks for practice. However, I like to have a body and leg clip done, at least 3 days before a show so the coat has a chance to "even out". [How to explain. When they are clipped tight they sometimes look dull so I allow a few days for the hair to get some of it's luster back before a show.] Then I try to clip faces the day, or the night, before a show.

You'll need to learn to "blend" the face (#30) back into the neck which you cut with a #10. This is why I clip against the direction the hair grows (in other words UP the neck) so I can blend by going DOWN (the opposite direction) with the hair growth.

So much to learn but you'll get there. Just don't get frustrated. Lots and lots of patience and practice.

Tip: to avoid clipper lines besure your blades are sharp and press down -gently-with the clippers so that you have the same depth of cut each time.

I'm from Louisiana, so I clipped a few weeks back. Nothing for shiw, just to remove the "yak" look. My first time too!
default_smile.png
I went through three sets of clippers, trying to decide what I liked best. I started with some $99 Wahls. Blah. They went back. Next, I upgraded to some $140 Oster A5s. Good clip, but something must have been wrong with this particular set, because the blades kept getting loose. Back they went. Finally, got some $170 Andis. (Bonus: they came with a wide T-84 and a #10 blade). They are a bit heavier I think, but I like them the best. I didn't do ears on anyone...I was more nervous than the horses!

My little gal Sally:

20130128_110737.jpg

And after:

20130306_105008-1.jpg

Sammy:

20130305_093208.jpg

After: (After I discovered he was a vicious kicker)

20130311_160142-1.jpg

And expecting Mama, Cinnamon

20130311_160611.jpg

20130320_190450.jpg

Bonus! I found pics of all three I used when I was debating!

20130224_150549.jpg

20130224_150602.jpg

20130224_150631.jpg

And look, sometimes you find really neat things!!! This is Sammy and Dixie. See that little white spot on Sammy's side?

20130127_151921.jpg

It turned into a perfect heart!!

20130316_180926.jpg

20130316_181003.jpg

Oh my gosh your babies are adorable! And you did a wonderful job clipping them! I hope my first time goes down like that, and thank you so much for the tips on the clippers! Now I'll really know what to look for.

That heart is way cute! Who would have known that little spot was a heart?

I was shocked at the find! I kept looking them over to see if I had missed any other little designs, lol.

Things went well with the exception of getting near Sammy's back feet and down the points on his butt. He kicks hard and fast. I talked the vet into a light sedative, but it worked about as well as water. I hobbled him by tying his back foot to his neck, and that was okay for a while, then he just lashed out with the unhobbled one. Used the quick release before someone got hurt. He did fine with the rest of his body, just unpredictable in the back...he may have to wear his "pants" all summer!!

No bueno! My mom's gelding is the same way with his back legs, he doesn't want anyone touching them. I found the best way to deal with that is with a longe or lead rope, looping it around the pastern, and lifting. Sure they kick and freak out, but nobody gets hurt, and in the end with patience they just don't care about their back legs anymore lol.

Back