Questions about breeding: The colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been wondering. How early do you start to breed a stud colt should he have no show carrear and what not to worry about? Ive heard of people leaveing yearling colts in with broodmares or a brood mare letting them start breeding when they want? Can a yearling even breed a mare? I know with fillys you should wait untill she is 3 years old I personally would wait untill the filly is 4 years old but how long should you wait with a colt or doesnt it really matter? Is there a health risk to a colt whom is bred early if he could actually breed the mare that is? Also while I am at the question has any one gelded a stallion after he has breed a handfull of mare, can he be trusted to be turned out with mares after then, will he still make a nice gelding? I am also wondering how many leave there stallions and mares together to breed natural, pasture breeding I suppose but leave them untill the mare is close to foaling? Can that be done or are stallions to pushy with mares? Im just curious and need educating in this department, I know many are breeders here so thankyou for any replies.
saludando.gif

I personally don't think a Colt should start breeding until they are at least two years old, even then I wouldn't breed to alot of mares. Some just don't mature as early as others do. But a yearling Colt is to young to breed to mares.

Yes, some do leave their stallions in with their mare's, others hand breed. We hand breed so we know exactally when the mare was bred so we can write it down. We've tried to pasture them together and my stallion tends to run the mares until he gets what he wants, so I don't put them together anymore because I don't want anyone hurt. They are pastured right next to each other with a fence between them so they can see other, ect.

Hope this helps you some!
saludando.gif

a yearling colt can definately get a mare bred.

If you want your foal amhr registered the colt has to be 2 before he breeds.

I really think its best to wait until they are 2 so they have some maturity behind them before they start breeding. Also some minis dont descend until they are almost two.

I think the best geldings are gelded very young without ever breeding a mare. Ones that are gelded later tend to still act like a stallion even after they are gelded especially if they have bred mares before.

It depends on the horse. My two year olds are ready for work, and I have always used them accordingly- big and small. I also show and breed at the same time and have never (we are talking forty years here
smile.gif
) encountered a problem. My colts are all fully descended by one year old- I would not use as a stud anything that was not- and I do not, as a rule, pasture breed. If I do, as I had to with one horse this year, I take the horse out at a certain time- 1st August usually, so I know I will have no foals beyond this time. I would never run a two year old with mares- his first season is always in hand only. By preference I only breed in hand. As to whether or not you can run a stallion- I have one you could NEVER run, and yet he is an absolute sweety to handle and a gentleman with his mares. He just cannot handle being out with them and will chase them mercilessly.

There is NO doubt that a yearling can breed and get mares in foal, one of the reasons I started gelding my colt foals was that a part-bred Arab Cremello colt I sold, I thought to a good home, ended up with a gypsy who turned him out with 30 mares. He got them all in foal and, because he had complaints about the condition the yearling colt was in, he shot him, rather than feed him or get the Vet!! No more sold entires for me!!

Latest posts

Back