Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Hi Yall.

Does anyone on here have any experience with standard size mare foaling?

I have a question regarding my mare. She is 15.2 hh. 10 yrs old. I have had her a year and a half.She has foaled once maybe twice before.( Lost papers) She was bred in February last cover date Feb the 15th. Putting her at day 95 today.

My vet does not have a probe for internal US. So in mid April she was confirmed in foal by palpation.

My question is, right now she is about 3&1/2 months and is showing. I was thinking mares didnt show until the 5th or more month. My neighbors feel that she is larger than she should be for her gestation( they used to breed) And I guess my concern is the twinning issue.

I have not changed her feed she still gets the same amount from before she was bred. She has always been a bit of a hard keeper and she does have a layer over her ribs but you can see the outline although barely.She is a narrow build horse.

So please take a look and tell me what you think. Does she look larger than 3.5 months ? Should I have the vet do an external US?

January 08 4 months ago.

donkey023-2-1.jpg

Today 5-20-08 95 days gestation

5-20-08001-1.jpg

5-20-08007-1.jpg

Hi, some of ours looked that round early and then some waited to pudge way out later. I think every horse is differant and I wouldnt worry. And on another note she sure is pretty!!

Is she on grass? I think she looks great!! We have bred paints and QH's for years and in my opinion she does not look to big, especially if she has had foals before!!!

Thank you.

She is in a 2 acre pasture. Unfortunately its mostly weeds not grass.

I appreciate yalls input!

h2t99- Do you still breed paints and QH? What lines to you have?

We still have a couple of broodmares left, but I sold the majority and got into the minis!! We have a Hollywood Dun It granddaughter and a Versary Bars granddaughter. We raise reining and reined cowhorse!!

Heidi

We also breed Quarters and Paints and to me she looks like a well fed normal broodmare. She looks wonderful and healthy!

Thankies!

Shy is my rescue mare, I put her in foal for me, We are looking forward to this foal.

We believe her to be out of Dugan spotted hawk lines. She is cow bred. She is a natural cutter.

It has been a while at least 3 years since her last foal. And we are only positive of one foal from her. She was bred and kept for 4 yrs at the breeders, sent to a ranch where she was used to run cattle pasture to pasture. The daughter also used her for trails. She was there 4 yrs. They bred her one time and now I have had her 1.5 yrs.

Her papers were never filed as the rancher didnt care to. He isnt the easiest man to get information from.So I did as best I could.

So after only one foal you think she isnt to large for 3.5 months? A mare can show this early?

I talked to the vet yesterday and he suggested that I send him a picture. He said he didnt 'feel' a twin situation but that it can be missed by palpation. So I sent the pic and am waiting to here back.

Still havent heard back from the vet, so I am going to share her udder pics see what yall think.

April 14,08

4-14-08029-1.jpg

may 23,08

5-23-08017-1.jpg

If she's only 3 1/2 months along she's not going to be bagged up at all. Her udder looks the same in both pics. Even if she has twins, she may get larger quicker, but her udder shouldn't grow until the last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt73,

Her udder hasnt gotten bigger but the area in front of it has grown. Is that the milk veins? If not what is that and why is it growing?

It's just edema. Both of my open mares have that too. It can be a sign of pregnancy or just that they're "well-fed"
default_rolleyes.gif
. She looks great.

Oh ok. Thanks. Not to worry then!

What a pretty mare!
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

My quickie pregnancy check in a mare that is at least 6 months along is to feed her, her grain and then place a hand on her navel... any existing baby will be kicking at that point or shortly thereafter... Veterinary attention as needed is then suggested.
default_yes.gif

Best wishes to you and your mare! Can't wait to see the baby..
default_wub.png

Denise

Silversong Farm

What a pretty mare!
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

My quickie pregnancy check in a mare that is at least 6 months along is to feed her, her grain and then place a hand on her navel... any existing baby will be kicking at that point or shortly thereafter... Veterinary attention as needed is then suggested.
default_yes.gif

Best wishes to you and your mare! Can't wait to see the baby..
default_wub.png

Denise

Silversong Farm
Hi Denise, Thank you for the compliment on my mare! I will be sure to feel for our foal at that stage, but thats another couple of months away!

Just a quick update on my mare. She is about 120 days -131 days now. She is doing very well.

I talked with a few different vets and they didnt feel checking for twins would be successful. So we are just feeding her great feed and watching her weight.

Looking forward to feeling her foal move!

Thanks everyone who answered.My Vet did feel that yes she has grown, he wants to see a new pic on July 1.

Before Breeding:

donkey023-2-2.jpg

New tummy pics....

6-13-08003-1.jpg

6-13-08011-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back