Quantcast

Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Al B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2002
Messages
902
Reaction score
58
Location
Cypress, Texas
A friends mini was bitten on the cheek by a snake. Don't know the brand but in our area its most likely a copperhead.

The venom caused the cheek, glands and throat to swell producing a choking effect. A quick trip to the vet revealed the snake bite and antihistimine and antibiotics seem to have cured the immediate problem. Residually she had colic like symptoms the day after but on the second day she passed a bunch.

What other residual effects has anyone observed after a snake bite?
 

ThreeCFarm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
3,859
Reaction score
0
Location
Marlow, OK
As you know, I'm no expert
but... A few years ago we had a pregnant mare get bit on the leg by some kind of water snake. She never coliced or anything. Star just had a sore leg. She carried her foal to term, however.

Sorry I'm not of much help, but it probably depends on the type of snake, where the bite occurred, and the individual horse.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Pam

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2003
Messages
737
Reaction score
0
Location
Princeton, TX
Hey Al, do I qualify?


There are dozens of microtoxins in venom, and type and percentage can vary even within species. The other factors are amount of toxin and potency/strength.

Some toxins cause vasoconstriction and tissue necrosis, which will show up as a spreading area of dead skin hours to days after the bite. If the tissue death is full thickness, the area will slough. I've seen spots from quarter size to half the face peel off. This takes aggressive wound care and antibiotics to keep infection under control.
 

Dr. Pam

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2003
Messages
737
Reaction score
0
Location
Princeton, TX
Another thought for future reference--keep several 3-4" lengths of rubber tubing on hand where you can get to it quickly. AS SOON as you know there has been a snake bite, slip a piece into each nostril and tape in place. Take off the halter!! The nose and face can swell very rapidly--the tubing will keep the airway open (horses are obligate nose breathers) and the halter can become embedded and very hard to get off.
 

Latest posts

Top