Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshack

Reaction score
My little sorrel mare was in with my stud from about the last week of

April until the middle of May, he was then put in with my palomino

mare after she foaled. Well the little sorrel mare acted like she took never showed

signs of heat. After my filly got old enough they all were turned out

together and have been since about the Middle of June. Cisco's never

showed any signs of either mares being in after that first time and

the mares haven't either. Fri, the little sorrel mare was acting like

she was in heat again and Csico actually mounted her once. I figured

she'd slumped the foal, and decided to keep an eye one her. The funny

thing is she hasn't showed any signs of being in since Friday. No

winking, no peeing no nothing. Cisco's quit paying attention to her

too. Any ideas?

i think you meant did she slip her foal
smile.gif

I will say this. All of my mares in foal this year showed heat their last month of pregnacy. DROVE ME CRAZY. One of my mares was flirting with the stallion the very day she aborted her foal. The other one that had a live foal -- was peeing for him every day the week she foaled. I have to wonder if their hormones are just so strong that last month that they think htey are in heat

It could well be that she slipped. I found an aborted fetus this morning. It must be about 60 days based on breeding dates. If it had happened in the field I don't know if I would have found it and known except for her coming back into heat.

Maybe you can ultrasound to tell if she is bred.

Kareng

Thanks for the input girls. I really appreciate it, if she was bred and slumped the foal it'd have to be at least 90 days, and i didn't find a thing in the pen to suggest that. She jsut acted like she was in for a day and even let Cisco cover her once and then all was back to normal I'd figure she'd go through the whole week or so being in if she really was in? I'm thinking it was hormones now. Hoefully, she's a cute little mare.

LOL Kaykay on the slip her foal. I just used ranchers terms of slumped, but they mean the same thing, but you'll say a cow slumped her calf if she aborts it. Different terms same meaning. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back