Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Angel, our mare that is due soon isn't eating her grain. She has always been a really slow eater since we have had her (takes her most of the day to eat) but for the last two days she hasn't touched her grain. Yesterday she didn't even want carrots. She is eating a lot of hay and drinking plenty of water and grazing. She has no temp, doesn't act like she feels bad but just isn't interested in her grain at all. Everything seems normal except she will usually drive you crazy wanting carrots and she doesn't even want them. We haven't changed her feed and the gelding is getting the same feed and cleaning his up.

Anybody have a clue what could be going on with her?

If she doesn't eat this morning, she's going to the vet. I don't think anything is terribly wrong but won't take a chance.

It has been terribly hot here and that may have something to do with it.

Mary

Check her mouth. Sounds and feels like maybe she has a cut or a sharp tooth, a vet visit would be nice if you can. OR maybe the baby has turned and she's getting ready. It has been awfully hot but then she'd want a nice cool carrot. I still think it's her mouth. Let us know how she makes out.

It could possibly be ulcers too. I think having a vet check her out is a good idea-- you don't want this to turn into hyperlipemia or anything. Good luck, let us know what the vet says!

How soon is she due? if she is due very very soon like any time now and she is eating her hay and drinking i wouldnt be horribley worried (although a call to the vet cant hurt) i have found there eating habits can change a day or 2 before delivery

MBennettp said:
Angel, our mare that is due soon isn't eating her grain. Mary
433407[/snapback]

Sounds like you gonna have a foal..how is her milk bag??

Have you tried offering her grain to another horse (just to make sure the issue is not the grain)?

I agree with Lisa and Littlesteppers. Some mares are known to go off their grain at the very end of the pregnancy.

MA

False alarm, she met me at the gate this morning and wanted a carrot, her grain, and out to graze in that order. I think it is the horrible heat, it was cooler this morning. She has been spending most of her time in the barn (by her choice) because of the heat.

Anyway, she is eating like crazy today, making up for lost meals I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Mary

Latest posts

Back