Question to Donkey Breeders....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Have no idea what a fair price is for an unregistered miniature donkey jack.

This little guy we are considering is about 3 years old, brown and white spotted, and small -- about 32 inches at the withers.

We plan on gelding him and just having him as a pet.

Please PM me if you'd rather, but I really need to know soon.

Thanks!

MA

MA, from what I've seen, the price depends a lot on the location, the breeder/owner, and the quality of the animal. Big well-known breeders can get $10,000+ and I've seen them sell at horse auctions for $200.-$700. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that it's anybody's guess and what the market will bring. Usually, the spotted ones tend to bring more. As far as the registry goes, they are open registries as long as they are donkeys and the right size (most want 36" and below but one I know of goes to 38"). You might want to check out the American Donkey and Mule Society and the International Miniature Donkey Registry. The ADMS puts out a great magazine called "the Brayer" when you join. You'll love the fees, especially if you're used to the AMHA costs!

I hope this helps you a bit, at least...

One thing I know for sure: you'll LOVE having a donkey!

StarWish/Colleen

MA I just bought one in Nebraska for 90.00. He is a 32" yearling. At the same sale a couple of little spotted ones went for about 150.00. They are a little more common here so maybe we are less expensive than other regions. Linda

Between 200 and 400 for unregistered Jack and One that is not gelded maybe on the low end of what I posted... Donkeys are plentiful throughout the country and many are pet priced at that rate...I gave $450 for one and another I traded my mini Zebu for one and whole Jack...And I sold that one to a dear friend so the donkey to have a buddy for 100 bucks...

And one time I saw an ad in our local paper for 5 donkeys for sale for 50 bucks a piece~!!! So there you are,,,, not anything over 500 dollars would be a fair price to pay for one..............

Miniv said:
Have no idea what a fair price is for an unregistered miniature donkey jack.
This little guy we are considering is about 3 years old, brown and white spotted, and small -- about 32 inches at the withers.

We plan on gelding him and just having him as a pet.

Please PM me if you'd rather, but I really need to know soon.

Thanks!

MA

466706[/snapback]

Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help.

MA

My uncle normally sells his jack foals for $475

Latest posts

Back