QUESTION re - Protein and starch?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaC

Reaction score
I am looking to try a new feed regime for my youngstock - weanlings to 2 year olds. Over here in the UK one leading horse food company has a Grow and Win mix (stating suitable for foals, youngstock, pregnant and lactating mares) but the protein level is 32%!! Surely this is far too high?

Then they also have another Stud mix (stated suitable for broodmares, foals and youngstock) where the protein level is at a sensible 16% but the Starch is 26%? Have I read somewhere on LB that high starch is not good for minis?

What are your opinions re the optimum levels of protein/starch for weanlings and growing youngstock? I have to add that they all get ad lib clean grass hay which is not necessarily 'top' quality.

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions.

Anna

I am not a feed expert, but had to learn a lot when one of our minis developed insulin resistence (IR), which brings with it a higher risk of founder. I also fed the Grow and Win for a very short time, but did not like it. I believe you are supposed to feed only a small quantity of it and that it is considered a "ration balancer" rather than a "grain". So the 32% protein would not work out to be that high when the whole diet is considered.

I would watch the starch level, but some grains (like sweet feeds) are much higher than 26%. Our IR mini gets a grain that is about 11% starch but normal horses don't need it quite that low. I think the starch level for the others is about 20%. If your hay is not of the best quality, I would suggest you consider a complete feed, even if you don't feed it that way. I feed my big horse and our 5 year old mini stallion a complete senior feed which is 14% protein and about 20% starch. They also get hay, some beet pulp and a small amount of soaked alfalfa cubes. The company nutritionist said it would be fine for young minis. I do not feed that to the broodmares however, although I don't think it would hurt them either.

y'ep, that is a ration balancer. It is great to supplement a hay or grazing diet.

Anna I have tried all the UK supplements and have come to the conclusion that, if you feel you need a supplement, good old Blue Chip is actually hard to beat. They do a senior, a founder free a competition, well, I am sure you probably are aware of them. Equilibra is also good, seaweed based.

I just feed barley and add ground linseed (flax) and BOSS ( black oil sunflower seed, also ground) to this I add Soya meal or grains, which is 42% protein, so I use it sparingly!!!To this I add Beet Pulp and Grazon dried grass chaff as needed.

I do not wish to "blow my own trumpet" but I think most people would agree my horses always look good.

I am a great believer in Keep It Simple (Stupid
default_wink.png
)

If you really do want a complete mix for all types you would be wise to consider Spillers...they are the original here in Europe and are still IMO, the best.

I am not sure where you are but my feed merchant makes a very very good competition mix that is similar to spillers, cheaper and again IMO, better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your thoughts. I should perhaps have said that all my horses are fed Spillers High Fibre Cubes at the present time along with their hay - we have used the High Fibre cubes for years as a 'basic' feed for them, mixing these with various supplements/additive/other Spillers mixes/cubes etc depending upon the individual horse -- broodmares/breeding stallions/showing/youngstock -- and the time of year.

At the present time my weanlings and youngsters are on the Spillers youngstock pellets 70% to 30% high fibre cubes. I do like the high fibre cubes as they 'crumble' so easily in the horse's saliva and therefore both young and old seem to cope well with them.

It was just that reading the Spillers info whilst considering a change in the feeding regime for the youngsters I came across the over high (in my opinion) protein and starch levels in a couple of the feeds considered good for growing 'babies'.

But considering everything I think I may just stick to the old saying - if it is not broke, dont mend it - or words to that effect!!

Jane, we are in Carmarthenshire, Wales and I well know from seeing your stock at shows over the past 15 years, that they both look and feel 100%. You are a true horseman (or should I say woman or even person!!) and the folk here on LB are lucky to have your expertise and advice to count on.

Anna

Oh, Wow
default_wub.png
now I am all confuzzulated!!!!
default_laugh.png

I really like Spillers, they are a brilliant base feed and the people at the company know what they are doing, too.

I think you are right about not fixing unbroke things, if the horses are doing OK ignore the label.......although I have to admit I do keep labels and read them through religiously!!!

I even stick them in my diary so I can go back and consult!!

I only use the mix in summer, in winter I buy in bulk, direct, and get it all a lot cheaper....significantly so.

As the ad says "every little helps"!!!

Latest posts

Back