Question re neutered dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
I have a male JRT who was neutered about 2 years ago. I have a 9 month old female Chi puppy who is going through her first heat. I just found them "locked" together. Why did this happen if the dog was neutered? Can the Chi get pregnant? I didn't think neutered animals could "do the deed". Can they? I'm confused!!!

I had the same thing happen with my neutered male dog. I found him with the neighbors female dog, which is why we had him neutered because the neighbors just let their female dogs roam the neighborhood. Needless to say I was shocked!!

I called my Vet right away and asked why this happens, she told me that the "urge" is still there but they cannot get the female bred....thank goodness! LOL

That surprised me as I always neuter (or spay) my dogs. Thank goodness I never had one with such strong "urges".

Yep it happens quite often even in males neutered young.....my neighbor who raises poodles has one neutered male who inevitably "gets" the girls when they come in.........naughty naughty canines
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies!!! So this is kinda like when a man gets a vasectomy?? Thank God! Did NOT want the Chi to get bred ever, but I would have been scared to death if she got bred this young.

What is the normal breeding age for a dog?

Well females often have their first season by 6 months and can get bred this is why vets who refuse to spay until 6 months really annoy me...anyway...most reputable breeders wont breed until age 2 after all genetic testing is done and hips/ elbows/ patella's have been cleared.......

Ok, that was what I was wondering. How often do they cycle?

I am contemplating leaveing MItzy, "Whole" for now until she is older. SHe is just over 6 months.

My vets do fix younger then that, but on cockers they like to wait unitl 6 months if at all possible.

Normally they cycle twice a year typically spring and fall.......some breeds however only cycle once a year....and young females sometimes wont cycle until they are over a year........but 6 months is kinda the norm....if you do not plan to breed then do not keep them intact the more cycles a female isn't bred on the higher the risk for pyometria...and other potentially life threatening conditions...not to mention a higher incidence of mammary tumors......

I am thinking of possibly haveing one litter out of her when she is old enough and if she passes a vet check with the ok to.

Well i figure I have birthed horses, and sheep. HOrses isnt nothing, sheep are nasty slimmy, and bloody. I dont think it can be much worse.

Only thing is, the sheep live outside and Mitzy inside! BUT, it's probably not that bad because you can get little "panties" for her that have a place to put sanitary napkins in so she won't make a mess on herself or your house and furniture
smile.gif

Jill is correct you just buy her panties and pads for the week or so of bleeding then you lock her hussy rear in a crate and get her a pair of iron undies for the week or two after that
biggrin.gif
yes I know of a dog who managed to get bred and take on day 36 of her cycle
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

Whelping is very similar to lambing except it usually is alot more of them and takes hours typically ....dogs are great you will know they are in labor but they can literally spend a day in labor before commencing to birthing and then that proccess can be drug out for hours
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
somehow I keep getting stuck helping other people whelp......which is fine but I have no desire of my own to breed dogs after doing this
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

This might be a dumb question but how do you know when they are in heat?

She doesnt go out side unless she is on a lesh so that isnt a big deal.

Bitches often get a bit "funny" when they come in heat, washing themselves a lot and doing a fair bit of squirming under your hands etc
smile.gif
Also the vulva(what I would call the Fanny but we have a slight communication problem on this one
biggrin.gif
) swells up and becomes quite hard, then the bleeding, then the fanny softens and that is when she will breed (although she is not "safe" from the onset) It is NOT your dog on the lead that is a problem it is the ten or twelve mutts that are not on a lead that is the problem!! That being said I never have had any problem managing in heat bitches and I have never had an un planned litter!! Incidentally I never had any of this inappropriate in heat behaviour when I had my old dog. He was castrated at ten months and he did not mate and tie until he was 18 months but he knew exactly what to do!! He was an Alpha male, which may have had something to do with it as actually mating is a dominance thing in wild Canids. Anyway my little bitches used to squirm around under him- he never bred them or even really tried to, but they were happy and it let me know when they were ready for the Stud.

Latest posts

Back