Question please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fantacsix

I am thinking about getting this colt. He seems to be only AMHR registered. What are your feelings on just AMHR compared to AMHA? Thank you. He is a really nice overo grullo. Never had one just AMHR registered. Thinking about breeding him in the future.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a AMHR registered only colt.

Here at our farm we only use stallions that are double registered though in both AMHR and AMHA. :DOH!

The reason is fairly simple, we show both AMHA & AMHR shows and enjoy both.
default_wub.png

Additionally the double registered horse has a broader market when it comes to breeding/production time.
default_aktion033.gif

Some folks show for whatever reason only one or the other type shows. And we do not want to limit where our horses can be used.
default_yes.gif

Hope that helps and the above is only our approach things, which seems to work for us.
default_wink.png

Good Luck with your decision!!!

I have a lot of horses in the "just over 34" to 38" height range, so AMHR-only horses are just fine and dandy to me.
default_yes.gif
I have an AMHR-only stallion (36") that I breed to my mares regardless of whether they are AMHR-only or AMHA/AMHR, for AMHR foals. I also have AMHA/AMHR stallions, but I don't have any problem selling my AMHR-only horses. If you've ever been to Nationals, you've seen just how popular the "over 34 to 38" horses are.
default_biggrin.png

There is nothing wrong with just an AMHR or just an AMHA horse if it's got everything you want and need, but you did say you may be breeding him, and I noticed on your site that all of your mares are A/R. In Texas especially I think you would be limiting the market on your foals considerably by not having a double registered stallion. Of course if you really like this colt you could always hardship him into AMHA later.

I have never had any trouble selling EXCLUSIVELY AMHR foals. I had only one mare that was not double reg. Her foals sold like crazy. Finally just had her hardshipped amha also.

If he is really what you like, do it! Then if you like later hardship him.

Robin

For me, all my breeding horses are AMHA and AMHR registered. While I am partial to AMHR, I wouldn't bring in a potential breeding horse, especially a colt/stallion, who wasn't both AMHA and AMHR registered (unless he was only AMHA and then I'd promptly "hardship" him off those papers into AMHR).

Latest posts

Back