Question - Pinto Markings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some questions about pinto markings, but wanted to also share some photos I took yesterday too. Here are some photos first, LOL, and then I'll post my question at the end. I hope you don't mind my sharing.
default_wub.png

The water here, (from when we were flooded by "TS Fay"), has finally receded in the back part of our property. I was finally able to split our horses off in seperate paddocks again, instead of having them all crammed in the paddock up by the house where the ground is a little higher. (Although my stallion is seperately "roomed" with my mare, Rose, over in the barn paddocks). Anyways, though it is still "mucky", I turned out our two HB ponies and little Bridgy way out back yesterday.
default_aktion033.gif
They had a blast finally being able to romp and play. Tuffy (my Chestnut gelding) is like little Bridgy's "big brother", and they always hang close with each other, LOL. I think that is so adorable. My other two mini mares, are still up in the paddock by the house, and I'll let them take turns with the others too, alternately.

Anyways, here are some of the photos I took of them after their turn out...

Bridget11-10-08-10.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-13.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-21.jpg

Little Bridgy was just feeling SUPER GOOD when I turned her out, that I got some really neat photos of her little "romp fest", LOL.
default_wub.png

Bridget11-10-08-1.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-19.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-4.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-7.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-6.jpg

Here are some "action" shots of her "romp fest"...

Bridget11-10-08-14.jpg

Bridget11-10-08-12.jpg

Here she is really "bookin' it", LOL...

Bridget11-10-08-22.jpg

In this last one, she was running towards me, and it is a little blurred from her moving so fast. But, I thought that between the blurring and the way the sunlight was over her, it was still a beautiful pic of her, in an almost sort of "mystical" way.
default_wub.png
Well, to "me" anyways, LOL.
default_wink.png

Bridget11-10-08-8.jpg

Ok, now for my pinto markings question, LOL...
default_unsure.png

In the photos that best show the left side of her face, down near her mouth, there's a very dark spot of skin, and the "hair" just above that, in just a tiny little area, her coat coloring in that little spot is of the "palomino tannish" coloring, like the rest of her "palomino-ness" over her body color. This little area is surrounded by "white" hair. My question is, is this just a weird part of her blaze that goes down over the side of her face, leaving the tiny little tan spot there? Or, is this by any chance a "frame overo" marking?

Is "Frame Overo" markings even "done" on the face, or is that something that only happens on the body somehweres? I don't know much about pintos, as far as identifying what their markings mean, between "tobiano", "overo", "tovero", etc. I only know that my stallion is called a "tobiano", because he does not have any face white. Bridgy, however, definately has a full blaze, but then her blaze also sort of "melts" over the the side of her face, and surrounds this little tiny "tan hair over black skin" spot, on the side of her face. Then, the white from that blaze also continues on down underneath her jaw line.

Now, in addition to her face markings... on her body, she also has an area over one side of her hip that looks like "sabino roaning". But, she also has "striped hooves". In these pics, her feet are all muddy from the muckiness still in the paddock there, but her hooves are light with black stripes. Does this mean the "roan" area might possibly be "appyness", or just sabino/pinto??? Are striped hooves an "appy" thing or "pinto" thing? Could she possibly be a very minimal "pintaloosa"???? Or just a really weird pinto???

I'd be grateful for any help in understanding what makes a pinto, an "overo" or "tobiano", or anything else...and also I'd be especially grateful for any help in what kind of pinto (or pintaloosa) my Bridgy might be???

Thank you in advance, for all your help.
default_wub.png
Thank you also, for letting me share my babies "romp fest" from yesterday. :love

Warmest appreciations,

Tanya

I would say her pinto markings that you are asking about are due to sabino. That said however, I would not rule out LWO until I had her tested for it. The striped feet could be from pinto, and/or it could be from silver. You cannot tell if she carries silver or not (just by looking at her), since she is palomino and has a white mane and tail anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Mona. LWO, that's "Lethal White Overo", right? Is that what a "Frame Overo" is? Or is that something different? What exactly is an "overo", and a "frame overo", and a "lethal white overo"???

Also, does this mean she might be a "Tovero" (tobiano w/overo)? Ugh.... I'm so confused???
default_wacko.png

Ok, I see where I might be confusing myself, with regard to "frame"??? Does it mean "frame overo" when there's a white spot completely surrounded by color, or the reverse, when there's a color spot completely surrounded by white???
default_unsure.png

If Bridgy is an "overo" at all, or just a "tobiano", by what markings is that determined?

Forget "overo" it just gets in the way anyway
default_smile.png

She looks as if, as Mona said, she has Sabino.

Tobiano can make most of her body pattern but it cannot put white on her face.

All the patterns are completely genetically different and have no actual relationship to each other, but do affect each other- so think of them as vying for attention, as in kids,.

Tobiano tries to remove all white forward of the shoulder.

Sabino tries to put white all over the face, Splash tries to break the blaze up into two and hang it off one side of the face, whilst both Splash and Frame try to put blue eyes on the face.

This goes on all the time and I think it is one of the reasons that a horse with more than a couple of patterns present will be more "wild" than, for example Tobiano + Sabino (which is quite common).

Your filly is really pretty and looks to be a real character, you should test her for Frame and Silver, but Frame is the important one as LWO can threaten the life of a foal if both parents are positive.

Yes Tanya, I would consider her to be a "tovero"....that is a combination of tobiano and any one or more of the three "overo" patterns of Frame, Splash and Sabino.
default_smile.png

As for frame....a good indicator (but not always) is when the color "frames" the white.

Frame and LWO are kind of the same. The horse needs to carry the LWO gene in order to be a frame overo, BUT, frame overo in it's homozygous form (2 genes) is what is deadly (lethal). It ALWAYS results in the foal dieing shortly after birth. (lethal white overo)

Thanks so much Mona and everyone for all your help and descriptions. Thanks too, for the link Annabellarose. With all this information, I am kind of "beginning" to understand at least a little bit better now, LOL. Thanks so much for everyone's help.
default_wub.png

Warmest appreciations,

Tanya

Nice looking horses!!!! That Bridget is just darling...how tall is she? Those little legs can't be a foot tall!
default_new_shocked.gif
Very cute
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

Back