Question on "White Noise" Machines/CDs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I will soon be starting back to work, and have to get up at 3:00 am when I do. Since our Pyr has found out he has a voice, he has been barking a fair bit between dusk and goes until either shortly after we are all in bed, or maybe later and I don't hear him if I have the fan going. It is not non-stop, but I know it will wake me and I will get agrivated with it. I need to block it out. He seems to not bark much after we go to bed, but that could be because we have a fan going on low in the bedroom window all night, and maybe I just don't hear him as often, so I think the sound of the fan humming helps me to block him out. On the nights when it has been too cold for the fan, I have heard him more often throughout the night.

Since it will soon be too cold to have the fan going, I won't have my sound to hum me to sleep anymore, so I was looking into "white noise". I don't want the sounds of the streams/water trickling, oceans/waves, birds, water running etc. I am just looking for a soft constant noise, much like the fan was providing me with.

I looked on Ebay, and found some machines with various noises. I don't want those, because they can only run for 1 hour tops. I want something to go all night. ALso, they have several nice sounds, but not what I am wanting for my bedtime background noise.

I found a white noise CD but they did not say if it is different sounds, so I am assuming it is just one sound. They said it is at various frequencies., and they also offered what they called a "Vanilla" noise CD, which sounded like maybe something more like what I may be looking for.

I have NO idea, and am hoping maybe someone out there has some experience with this and can lend some information?? Thanks!
smile.gif

I have a sound machine! CANNOT sleep without it! Mine was about $30 and I found it on shopping.yahoo.com. It's Homedics brand. It has lots of setting for rain, birds, ocean, stuff like that but I'm like you and only use the white noise setting. It runs all night. I used to keep the TV in the bedroom on static through the night (for years and years) but then when we got a new tv, it would turn off after so long of only static.

Oh, here, I found the exact same one I have:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/ha-ss2000.html

sleeping.gif

I too cannot sleep without my NOISE.............My is old..... atleast 15 years. Its from Brookstone. But Sharper Image and places like Bed, Bath and Beyond carry them. But tons of places have them and the one I have you can set on 30.........60................90 or continuous. It also has a bunch of different noises to pick from. I use only one or two.........

Yes, those LGD's seem to let loose when the sun goes down. For the life of me I think they bark at bugs crawling.
new_shocked.gif

Carol

There's a little fan type of box that you can get a Walmart. Probably 8 inches tall and 5 inches wide. It's a heater/fan. I think it may even be a workshop fan. Actually I just looked at it and it's a ceramic heater. Has 2 knobs, one for making it run fast or slow and a knob for warm air or cool air. I don't see a fan actually going in there it must work something like how a blow dryer works. But hubby uses it in his shop and around the house. Definitely white noise.

For me I prefer to hear stuff going on outside. Once I recognize them I can get back to sleep. I must've been a dog in another life!
biggrin.gif
During the day too. I enjoy a real quiet house with no TV or radio....just nothing.

Anyway thought I'd mention that ceramic fan...nothing fancy tho.

I am one who must have a white noise to sleep. I have an air purifier that runs loud enough to lull me to sleep but still if a noise is out of place I notice.

I'm on the same page. I'm a very light sleeper at night, although I can sleep like a log in early morning or midday....

We have clip on fan that runs on low all night long, for air circulation and the soothing sound it makes....... I keep it tilted away from the bed so it isn't blowing on us at night but it still provides the lulling sound.

I'm still alerted to unusual noises outside the normal nighttime sounds.

In the winter, when Michael gets up early and turns on the furnace, I drop off to sleep like a dead person from the steady hum of the furnace running.....

I've thought about those 'white noise' machines for years but for now I've found something that seems to be working......

I used to HATE it, but Larry likes having "white noise" so we run a fan in our room. I've gotten used to it. In winter, we still run the fan on low and point it at the wall.

Dimi's suggestion of the air purifier sounds like an even better idea!

MA

Man im glad I dont have that problem. I normally sleep through anything, even the two pyrnees barking.

IN the winter time you can run a fan in your room as well. Just keep it on low and at the opposit end of the room. If you dont want it on you turn it away.

YOu wouldnt be able to sleep in my house then, not with 4 very active hedgys at night.

We use a humidifier(sp) in the winter and it is a pretty cheap and constant hum- we just have to becareful that the steam doesn't hit the same spot on the ceiling constantly-

I don't want the sounds of the streams/water trickling, oceans/waves, birds, water running etc.

Me neither. That would totally make me pee pee the bed..............
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

I have a fish tank, and the sound of the filter going is white noise in our apartment. You do have to care for a fish tank, but I suppose you could just have some decorations and fake plants inside with no live fish for pure decor.

Andrea

I agree with getting a fan. I have used a box fan every night since I was a kid and can't hardly get to sleep without one. They're a lot cheaper than those noise machines and make a good constant noise. I sleep like a rock most nights
yes.gif

Not to put a damper on the fans haha, but my noise machine cost less than $30 and I bet it is cheaper to run than a fan. It goes all night, white noise and other options if you want to hear something other than white noise PLUS no air blowing on you which would bug me...

Jill said:
PLUS no air blowing on you which would bug me...
470121[/snapback]

LOL Jill, actually I LOVE the air. I wake up with heartburn if I get too hot and then can't sleep, so the air is welcome in my house (no central air, just window units).

I'm thinking, to each their own. What works for some of us might not work for others. It took David a couple of years to get used to my fan, but I wasn't sleeping without it
biggrin.gif

Thank you for all your input. I don't normally need any noise/sound to sleep. We have a window fan that we have been using, and thought maybe it helped me to drown out other sounds, While I am not working, I have no problem sleeping through noises...that is waking up and falling back to sleep, but once I start back to work, I am often "frazzled", and running on empty most of the time, and I am LUCKY if I can catch 6 hours of sleep a night, so I know I will be very crabbly if I am waken with his barking and cannot get back to sleep. Another thing I could try I guess, would be ear plugs, to help drown out his barking. That may work, and they are free from work!
wink.gif

Ah but MOna that would be stealing!
wink.gif

I think that might actually make the barking more defined.

Okay, I really had to dig through the archives to find this one!! After reading this thread, I became convinced a sound machine would really help me sleep.

Went to Target over weekend and found a "HoMedics Sound Spa Acoustic Relaxation Machine" for $12.95 - it's AWESOME!!!!
aktion033.gif

So Mona, if you're still looking - try Target - it's a GREAT buy!!
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back