Question on photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkermini

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to transferring the minis Ive acquired in the past several months to me, and register a few. I have some questions on the pics required...I know, ask the registry and I did but they really arent much help, they send me this standard form without details. So if anyone can help, I would appreciate it!

Okay, with AMHA-they say they need "4 current color photos or 2 current color photos, all markings visible. If four, need one of each side, and two of the front with face visible. If two, need one of each side with front of face visible in both." (paraphrasing here...) Anyway, if I send the four, why do they need two of the front? Can they be the same photo, and just send two of the same front photo? And do they accept digital photos on photo quality paper?

And with the AMHR-They want four, one of each side, 1 of front, 1 of back. For the side photos, they want to be able to see all legs in the photo, without the horse standing square. and want the horses face facing the photographer, with forelock pulled aside (Isnt this what the front photo is for?). Well anyway, are they really this picky? Its really hard getting the horse to stand in that exact position with all four legs showing, facing the camera, etc...If I have a picture with the legs in the correct position but the horse is facing forward, will they not accept it? I just dont understand since they have the front view pic anyway...

Any help, tips, personal experience, or info appreciated on this subject!

I am finally getting around to transferring the minis Ive acquired in the past several months to me, and register a few. I have some questions on the pics required...I know, ask the registry and I did but they really arent much help, they send me this standard form without details. So if anyone can help, I would appreciate it!Okay, with AMHA-they say they need "4 current color photos or 2 current color photos, all markings visible. If four, need one of each side, and two of the front with face visible. If two, need one of each side with front of face visible in both." (paraphrasing here...) Anyway, if I send the four, why do they need two of the front? Can they be the same photo, and just send two of the same front photo? And do they accept digital photos on photo quality paper?

I take four photos. One of each side in profile of the horse. Then I pull the forelock back under the halter, take a frontal view of head and feet too. The move slightly to the other side (slightly right or left-just opposite of pic #1) and snap another pic. I try and get both sides of the face and eyes in each one so they can see any patterns that go across the nose or forehead. I have not had AMHA return any to me so far.

And with the AMHR-They want four, one of each side, 1 of front, 1 of back. For the side photos, they want to be able to see all legs in the photo, without the horse standing square. and want the horses face facing the photographer, with forelock pulled aside (Isnt this what the front photo is for?). Well anyway, are they really this picky? Its really hard getting the horse to stand in that exact position with all four legs showing, facing the camera, etc...If I have a picture with the legs in the correct position but the horse is facing forward, will they not accept it? I just dont understand since they have the front view pic anyway...

Don't square up the horse. They want the legs slightly apart so they can see any inner thigh patterns or markings. I have some pinto mares that only have dark patterns on their inner legs. Also they want to see the hooves because that is an identifier also. Some of my horses have 3 white hooves, 1 black, some all black, some striped. I also try and get one snapped while the tail is held high by the horse so they can see the entire back legs. I take probably 20 pics of my horses digitally and then chose the one that shows the horse's markings the very best. It is a chore but tons better in my opinion than the way we used to have to "draw" in markings on a blank horse. Look at it this way, if your horse is ever missing, you have great pics to identify it with now. If you don't want to invest in a big digital camera, I saw some nice ones at CVS that are disposable.

Any help, tips, personal experience, or info appreciated on this subject!

I will be glad to email you pics of my registry pics if you like.

they have taken my side views where the horses was looking straight ahead, not at the camera.

But, they keep changing the photo guidelines! Originally they said action shots were allowed, then they said NO action shots. However, at least one forum member says that she still sends in trotting photos and has them accepted with no problem. Originally it said that side photos could have the horse's head turned slightly toward the photographer, but not so far that the neck is partly obscured. Now it says that one side view MUST have the head turned. Not sure when that changed, but I sent in photos in March--heads not turned--and had them accepted. Originally it said that there were to be no other horses in the photo, now it says the MAJORITY of the photo must be of the horse being registered. I take that to mean that horses in the background are now acceptable.

they have taken my side views where the horses was looking straight ahead, not at the camera.

But, they keep changing the photo guidelines! Originally they said action shots were allowed, then they said NO action shots. However, at least one forum member says that she still sends in trotting photos and has them accepted with no problem. Originally it said that side photos could have the horse's head turned slightly toward the photographer, but not so far that the neck is partly obscured. Now it says that one side view MUST have the head turned. Not sure when that changed, but I sent in photos in March--heads not turned--and had them accepted. Originally it said that there were to be no other horses in the photo, now it says the MAJORITY of the photo must be of the horse being registered. I take that to mean that horses in the background are now acceptable.
:DOH!
default_wacko.png
:arg!
default_frusty.gif
default_giveup.gif
default_gaah.gif

I was one that just send in trotting pics for their registration papers. I would have a photographer in the middle of the round pen and I would make them move to get their pics. No problems. These are the pics they use on the papers are their side shots, and Im sorry I am going to make my horses look decent instead of standing all awkardly. I am glad they still accept trotting pics.

And as for the front and back shots plain and simple, pull the forlock away and i dont even touch the tail.

Thats in AMHR.

In AMHA just get 2 side shots, and 2 head shots with their forelock pulled to the side. Never heard AMHA just accepting 2 pics, thats interesting.

I think AMHR has lightened up on their picture requirements since implementing pictures on their registration papers. You do need to make sure that all 4 legs are showing in the side shots but if the horse is walking, or otherwise moving, I've had those kind accepted. Be sure to include the full frontal view with forelock pulled aside and full rear view of the horse.

AMHA requires two pictures one from each side of the horse and two head shots of the face with the forelock pulled aside. However, you can take side shots of the horse with the head turned towards the camera and the forelock pulled aside instead of the face shots. I prefer the full side shot with the head straight so no markings are missed in the case of pinto or appaloosa colored horses. Yes, I print two of the same face shot.

Latest posts

Back