Question on Lamb Pullers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I guess foaling time will be here before we know it, I was going to order a lamb puller last yr and never did so am looking at them again, trying to figure out which kind is best. But what I'm finding is a lamb puller actually goes over the head to keep the head straight. That'd be good to have too but I find my problem is when I'm trying to get the front legs out, I get one and it slips back while I'm trying to get the other one up front. I've tried to use a fatter shoe string, etc, and the legs are so slippery, I find it hard to loop one around and get it to stay but I found something in the lamb dept, so it'd be small, called an OB leg snare, that's what I think I may be looking for. Hopefully, I'll never have to use it, but I know better and just want to be prepared a little better. Does anyone have any input on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
When we've had to pull foals, the Vet is usually here. I've tried the shoe strings but they sometimes aren't long enough. We did buy chains last year, but haven't (fortunately) had to use them.

One thing I've heard of trying, but never have yet is a long dog choke chain as they can be looped around the fetlock joint and as long as tension is kept on the chain they do not come loose, so I've been told!

My friend Donna made raw hide leather ties. Little loops on the end so she can slip it around a leg like a noose so she wouldn't lose a leg after she fished it out. She used raw hide leather as it is a little less slick. She said she betadines it before it is used.

Bump, anyone else? I'm not lucky enough to have a vet handy, he's 20 miles away and it seems to take him a half hour just to get his pants on, he doesn't seem to hurry. And I can't get a new vet, they're all the same so I have to do whatever it takes to save these babies and mares and I do, I've become pretty darned good. But want to be better. I remember seeing a thread run on lamb pullers last yr but can't find it now. Anyone else with opinions or experience?

I am very interested in this thread too Marnie. Be thankful your vet is ONLY 20 miles away! Mine is 80! One vet(not my regular one) used chains on a foal a couple years ago, and popped both of the front hooves right off the foal in doing so.
no.gif
It was sickening, and hope like heck it is not something I ever have to witness again.

Mona said:
I am very interested in this thread too Marnie.  Be thankful your vet is ONLY 20 miles away!  Mine is 80!  One vet(not my regular one) used chains on a foal a couple years ago, and popped both of the front hooves right off the foal in doing so. 
no.gif
  It was sickening, and hope like heck it is not something I ever have to witness again.
514173[/snapback]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohmy.gif
That is horrible!!!!!!!!!!

The only time that I could not get a foal out the vet took a dog type leash & put on the feet, it is made out of a vinyl, I think & made a loop in it to slip over the feet. Still couldn't get the baby out until we cut her head off, not a nice thing to have to do. She was already dead though.

minijoyj said:
Still couldn't get the baby out until we cut her head off, not a nice thing to have to do. She was already dead though.
514409[/snapback]

Yeah, that is what finally had to be done to the foal I mentioned above too, to get it out.
no.gif
I am not so sure in my case it "had" to be done. I would have liked him to try something else first, and I asked him to, but he wouldn't. Sure glad they never kept him around!!
aktion033.gif

We have used baling twine in a pinch on cattle before, not the plastic ones. They have always worked pretty well. I'm not sure if I would use it on a foal but I guess if it came down to it I would!!

our vet had to use calf pullers before..he is really good with them. One time we had 3 grown man pulling and the foal wouldn't move. (including the vet)

I can't see shoe strings would do any good..maybe with a minimal malposition?

I have some that I think are 'Lamb pullers'....we got it years and years ago to use with the Dairy goats...for tangled triplets and quads it was invaluable....and we have used it once with the minis. It is a length of strong yellow webbing (narrow) that has a ring on each end to make loops to wrap around the legs. We soak it in Betadine before and after using.

Sue
smile.gif

Reminds me that foaling season is just around the corner.
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back