question I was asked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Anybody that knows me, knows that getting me to think is really a tough one!

I had a friend ask me why I didn't breed my littlest mare. I told her that I couldn't find a small stallion that was very refined, double registered, that came from a small background so I had decided not to breed her.

Then I started wondering why I couldn't find a small enough stallion that met the requirements and that stood to outside mares.

Is there a way to find out who has what stallions standing to outside mares?

I hadn't really thought about it, but other than going to every person's website that you can find that is within a couple of states, how would you go about finding a stallion?

Just curious,

Mary

Well, hopefully a person who was standing a stallion at stud would know enough to advertise. So you would try and find their ads. Around here there is a magazine they give away at the feed store that has horse ads in it, and they even have nice glossy full color pics of stallions. I guess a stallion owner could also just advertise at the feed store, stick up a flyer or something. You could call vets too, they would know about stallions standing at stud, most likely.

It may not be common for mini stallion owners to advertise their stallions, except by word of mouth and on their websites. For the most part, though, you just have to hope the person realizes that if they don't tell people about their stallion, that mare owners are not going to hunt them down, beat their door in and force money into their hands. If they do advertise, just read the horse magazines that you would normally read and I'd think you would come across ads. I know I've seen stallions advertised in "The Journal".

You could post an ad on the Saleboard, and state the distance you are willing to go. With Mapquest, it is easy to tell how far away someone is, simply by using their zip code.

I agree post on the sale board. Its a pain searching and searching and alot of farms dont breed to outside mares.
sad.gif

Go to breeders connect and see who may be closer to you. I know WW Minis has a VERY tiny stallion but don't know if he stands outside mares. You just gotta get aggressive and look for him, he's out there. How bout a pic of this mare?

Unfortunately it is easy to keep mini stallions as opposed to the big guys so it doesn't pay to advertise. I know Tony Greaves has a herd of little ones and he isn't that far from you. Give him a call

You can also go to websites like AgDirect.com or any other "Horse Classifieds"... most will allow you to do searches for Sale or for Stud... you can do general searches in each category, or do more advanced searches by putting in breed, height, color, pedigree, etc... and listing how far you are willing to travel... Hope that helps.

Edited to say... to find other "Horse Classifieds" you can go to Google or your favorite search engine and type horse classifieds and that will usually bring up quite a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back