Question from another board, I think its stifle problems, but.... not much experience about it......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintsRule

Reaction score
Had someone post this, and I asked her if I could post it here to get some response, knowing there is such a wealth of knowledge and experience here!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

8 month filly-stiff leg only in AM- she drags it behind her....ANY info appreciated......more.

Posted by Dana D on 11/4/2006, 9:02 am

walks on her fetlock joint!! with foot flipped back. Twice now this has happened, thurs and today (sat)-that i have noticed.

I pulled her leg forward this morning, without too much difficulty and the hip itself POPPED, & I mean popped hard, basically if my jaw was beside her stifle i'd have been hit hard. She didn't jump forward or anything, maybe a little hickup so to say. She will move around on it and will bring it forward but will not bend her hock, she more throws her leg forward and will walk on either the hoof or the fetlock joint itself. AFter i pulled the leg forward she moved around on it a bit and stretched it back behind her again, i pulled it forward and same thing, HUGE pop.

Not sure WHEN she wakes up in the morning-automatic lights come on at 6am(mare is beside her)i am in barn about 615-630.

If i take her out of her stall, she walks FINE and will jog down the hallway on her own, no hitches, she runs and plays in the field no problem, is not sore to touch. She is not off of her feed or water, has regular movements, is not out of sorts AT ALL.

Please tell me someone else has dealt with this before. She has grown quite a bit lately and this -that i have seen- both times was her rear left leg

Is it possible for their legs to fall asleep?? BUT what about the joint thing???

Look forward to all replies, ideas, anything and any guesses as to what this may be

TIA Dana

It is of course hard to say but yes it sounds like locking stifle which can happen randomly. It can sometimes happen alot in a matter of a couple of weeks then seem to disappear for a year or so and then come back full force.

Many times you wont know if they have locked or not as they can unlock themselves often and unless you happen to be out there at the right time or know what to look for (drag marks) you might not even know it was happening.

of course she should have her vet out to check.

The reason it probably seems like it's a matter of her 'leg falling asleep' is becuase she's probably stalled at night, and in a case of locking stifles that's probably the worst thing you can do is stall them. It makes them stand in a fairly confined space for a 'long' period of time and the joint actually stiffens worse. It does sound like a locking stifle thought for sure.

You might want to read this thread that is on page 2 right now. A few good articles posted on this topic.

Locking Stifles

Thanks for the replies, I have copied and pasted them to her. I know NOTHING about stifle problems, so..... hopefully if its a young horse, she might grow out of it?

Latest posts

Back