question from a worried donkey mom

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
My husband found one of P.J.'s teeth on his stall floor this morning. Do young donkeys lose baby teeth like children? It looks like a new one is in the gum line but we're not sure. I'm not sure if I should panic or not. Inform me! I'm a worried mom at the moment.

chico

P.J. will be 3 in June. Will this loss be like children? A few here and there until all are permanent? I never even thought about this before. . . We look in his mouth from time to time but I never thought to wiggle. Thanks for all the information!

chico

default_wub.png
Yes, they are like children, my Max, who will also be 3 in June, lost his 2 front teeth a couple of months ago. The first one I just looked in and one was missing, knowing that they loose baby teeth, I was prepared. A little while later I was looking in to see how the new tooth was coming along, I noticed a very loose one, my husband was able to grab it and pull it out, so I have a baby donkey tooth to add to my collection...they grow in quicker than childrens though!!

Not sure how many they actually loose!

Emily's mom,

Oh, thank you so much for sharing your information.!
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif
Instead of being worried now I'm actually laughing.
default_biggrin.png
My husband had a cute idea, we should put P.J.'s tooth under a pillow for the donkey tooth fairy.
default_biggrin.png

I have another donkey who's name is Mac. By any chance is your little one chocolate brown?
default_biggrin.png
Mac will be two in May. Next time I'll know not to panic.
default_rolleyes.gif
First time donkey parent!

chico

You both need to put your baby teeth under the fairy pillow...
default_wub.png
, never know what that fairy will bring.
default_biggrin.png
I had someone come over to my house a few years back, she brought along a tooth...she found it laying in her dry lot, and never knew horses or donkeys lost teeth
default_yes.gif
, she thought it was from some "big bad wolf" or coyote, or stray dog) that happened to come into her pasture. We laugh about that one to this day, now she knows differant but tells everyone she sure felt stupid bring her tooth over to me so I could tell her have kind of animal it could be from...only to find out it was from her donkey. She slept much better knowing there was no stray animal out in her pasture.
default_wink.png

Corinne

default_crybaby.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_oops.gif
I am a bad donkey mom, I totally forgot about the tooth fairy!

Next time I won't forget.....

Chico....Yes Max is chocolate brown, Emily is grey.

...carrots just might work...
default_biggrin.png
while you hang your head in shame..remember donkeys dont forget... :DOH!
default_biggrin.png
better make that carrots and apples, with maybe a few soda crackers, then they just might forgive you.
default_yes.gif

Hi,

The tooth fairy brought P.J. a homemade oatmeal cookie.
default_biggrin.png
Oatmeal cookies are P.J's favorite.

Emily's mom,

My boys don't forget my mistakes, but they do have forgiving hearts. A treat or two should make all forgiven.

Corrine,

I loved your tooth story. I feel a little less silly knowing others have also been confused. Silliness likes company.

I appreciate this board. It's nice to have a place to share and learn about donkeys. As a newer donkey parent I often come across unexpected issues. Being a donkey mom is special.
default_wub.png

chico

Last edited by a moderator:
Make some oatmeal, with chopped apple, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Betsy will forgive ANYTHING for that!
default_biggrin.png

(Hubby likes to make oatmeal this way. Sometimes some gets left over. He has fed it to her with a spoon, and tells me she has the finesse to get it off the spoon without biting it!)

Ok, now you guys have ME hungry for oatmael, brown sugar, cinnamon and apples.. hmm, maybe I will have to have that for my midnight snack.
default_biggrin.png
(we just got back from having a fish fry and it was so yummmy..I think I ate to much!)

Chico, you are so right, donkeys have the MOST forgiving hearts. I do donkey rescue, and have one here who I am now owned by, her name is Clementine, and her short story is on my site..she has been abused so terrible bad, but still comes to me for a little bit O loving. You would really think she would HATE people. Being a donkey Mom is VERY SPECIAL
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Glad you appreciate this forum.

Corinne

Reading about Clementine nearly broke my heart. How could someone be unkind to a donkey? They have such child like hearts and I just can't even imagine such a thing. If anyone tried to hurt my babies I would. . . Well, I would! I'm so glad Clementine found your family, you love her, and she will always have a good home. Hugs to Clementine to you for being her hero.

chico

Latest posts

Back