Question for your flower folks and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
This year what with my new rock garden the guys built me and filled with mini magic dirt and so many flowers I have enjoyed this garden so much more because, 1. I didn't have to build it, 2. they weed it when they're home and 3. because I am learning about flowers I've never had before.

This is the canna lily in full bloom. I will pull them all as recommended to winter safe but how do I winter them safely?

2005callalily.jpg

Then there are the geraniums. I have never really liked them in the past but I've become pretty fond of their brilliant color and hardyness. I was told to "take them up" for winter and repot. How do I "do" this? and where do I keep them. Do I continue to water them or let them sleep in a dark place until spring? Thanks all. With the reduction in my mini folks I am doing and learning more about the posies. Guess I am stopping to smell the flowers of my life more now.

geraniums.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Deb, that first one looks like a Canna to me. We've had them only in red and they are beautiful. I'm not sure about the geraniums, but if you live in harsh cold climates (which NJ can be considered that as well) we have to take up our Canna bulbs and overwinter them indoors. Your flowers are very beautiful!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Sterling, you are right you did tell me Canna Lily. Do you put them in a brown paper sack or a basket? In the dark, yes?

Would you like one? I'll trade for a red one.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Deb, I don't have anymore bulbs here as we let them die down. A lady on the other side of town gave me some bulbs a couple of years ago and altho I did'nt dig them up for the winter, they did come out the following year because that winter hppened to be very mild for this climate! (It was a very NICE winter!!) However if I remember correctly, my aunt in upper state NY does overwinter them and she mentioned putting them in something like a light mixture of soil and in a dark room. I've seen them also in what looked like pine shavings. I know, not much help....am I
wacko.gif
? If I did have bulbs I'd gladly send you some tho!!!
biggrin.gif
yes.gif
She either puts them in a bag or a box and covers them with that light mix.

Deb when I was doing Geraniums seriously ( like almost an obsession, not knowledgeably!!) I used to let the plants die and keep cuttings. You can take cuttings from any part of the plant that is new growth, just stick it in rooting mixture and pot it up- I used to pot up in trays of different colours. Keep somewhere shaded as opposed to dark- a garage or shed- and water sparingly once roots have started. Pinch out new growth as you do Tomatoes , until Spring then let them grow on, and plant out as usual.

Latest posts

Back