Question for Quilters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdust

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I a new to quilting and I am working on a quilt that started out as a 62"x62" quilt that I am making it into a queen sized quilt. I am almost there but need to add 18" more inches to the length. Making it 80"x110". So I am adding a line of blocks and 9.5" blocks would work. My block is a 9 patch with one solid middle piece, 4- 1/2 triangle units and 4 units made up of a 1/2 triangle and 1/4" triangle. ( so one side of the unit is 1/2 triangle and the other half is made up of 1/4" triangles) I hope that makes sense. My question is what size do I need to start with so that the finished block is 9.5" Thanks so much and I really hope you understand my question. Debbie

To figure the 1/2 square triangles and the 1/4 square triangles. The square figures as 1/3 of the 9.5 inch block. So if you have added in your seam allowance, the squares would be 3.17 inches for a nine patch block. If you haven't added in the seam allowance you will need to refigure this square size and the ending triangle sizes.

I add 1 inch to the square for the 1/2 square triangles...some say 7/8" but sometimes it is just a hair short. Here is a link to the info for 1/2 square triangles. So the half triangle squares would be 4.17 before cutting into two triangles

And I add to the square 1.5 inches for the 1/4 square triangles. Here is a link to the info for the 1/4 square triangles , So the 1/4 squares would be 4.67 before cutting into four triangles

Here is a link with a video showing the difference between 1/2 and 1/4 triangles. I find it can be frustrating if you don't understand the why.

Hope this helps. Just try cutting one block at first then assembling that block before you cut more ~ just to make sure that it works out and that the triangels are not too short.

Lois

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so VERY much!! I will check out the links. Once again thank you. Debbie Goad

Lois, Thanks for your help on my block. I thought that I would show how the block turned out. I am placing the row of blocks on my almost complete Queen size and then I will post pictures of that. Thanks again for your help! DebbieDSC_0175 (2).JPGDSC_0178 (2).JPG

Oh, how pretty and your points are very good. I love the colors and the pattern that you chose. Thank you for sharing. You are going to have one very pretty quilt when you are done!

It is so nice that we have the information posted on the internet to use for learning and refreshing our memory on how to do things.

Lois

Here is my finished quilt. The last row is the new block that I made. (The one for which this topic got started for) Thanks! Debbie

DSC_0179 (2).JPGDSC_0179.JPG

Latest posts

Back