Question for Pacific Cart owners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to order several of the Pacific carts and was wondering what options you recommend. The folks at the factory mentioned brush guards but I am not familiar with them. What about the dash, marathon shafts, etc.

The only option I'm not considering are the sleigh runners
default_new_shocked.gif

I have had mine only about a month and just love it. The dealer wanted me to get the brush guard too, but I haven't yet. Some people don't like the weight it adds to the cart. I did get the curved backrest it is beautiful it has buttons on it, it looks nicer than just the plain back. I do want the pantine dash, I saw it at the dealer. It definitely dresses the cart up for Dressage.

Congratulations, Kathy

Hi Al,

When I first ordered my cart (serial Number 2), the option list was pretty small. We ordered the curved seat which was added after I drove the prototype and I ordered a cover. Since then we have added a whole cart for Ron and two sets of marathon shafts, two fancy dashes. Ron's cart has brass hubs because he drives in dressage with a brass fitted harness. After his first marathon in the cart, he asked that Bill build a wider axle. Buddy is a taller horse (now a pony...Grrr!) and the center of gravity combined with Ron's size made the regular axle a little scarey around tight fast corners; we've had NO problems since replacing the original with a 5 inch wider axle even when we drove at Happ's this year with the extra weight of the required navigator to compete as a small pony.

We do not have the brush guards. We don't think they are necessary or a good trade off for the extra weight. And I would not order the cover again as I could make one. I'm used to the covers on the Jerolds and thought I was getting something similar but found it to be a dust cover, only usable when the cart is stored level. We store all of ours upright to save space.

So...what would we order again?? Definitely the wider axle; we like the looks and stability on all of our horses, big and small. Definitely the curved seat; it really classes up the carriage. Then the fancy dash and marathon shafts.

We're looking forward to seeing you some day again in your new Pacific Carriages, if not in person, then certainly in pictures.

Dorothy

I would second all that Dorothy wrote, although I can't say anything about the wider axle as I have no experience with it. The options I love:

Curved backrest

Patine Dash (I use the regular bar for everyday driving and marathon day. The patine is strictly for competition.)

Marathon shafts

I also am seriously considering their new single wedge seat and am intriqued by their dropped singletree bracket to lower the line of draft.

I also saw absolutely no need for brush guards and have never once thought, "gee, I really should have gotten those brush guards!"

Dorothy, a couple of questions... How wide is the wider axle? Just curious as to how it compares w/ other brands (and how it might 'fit' in the range of axle widths on currently available VSE vehicles, thinking of the possible proposed minimum axle widths for VSEs in CDE!)

Also--how much does it weight w/ all of the features you mention? I read on a recent post (on cde 4 vse, I *think*, where a new owner(Kathy2M?) mentioned that the Pacific website said 120 lbs., but I don't know what that would include)....

I am VITALLY interested in the overall weight of this type of vehicle, because while I am not humomgous, I am not svelte, either! My Bennington is @ 42"; I like that width. I'd like to know how that compares w/ the Pacifics and others.

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Margo

My Cart is 5 inches wider than the standard width. I think it is 44 inches. I weighed in at 118 pounds without me in it. The cart was at 115 before I changed the axle. I have used my cart on everything from a 32 inch to a now small pony and have had no problems with the weight. I always chuckle when I read about people being concerned about a few pounds of weight of the cart. I have been driving the smaller beast for some time now and I have been labeled as magnificently sized. Most people who have met me would agree I am indeed a large person. I was using a cart that weighed about 135 before I got the Smart Cart. I still use the old cart for training and many pleasure drives. I go just as fast in the old cart as the new one. Ron

Thanks everyone for the information. This first one will be for Susan. I already have my toy for this year
default_rolleyes.gif

I took two of my older Jerald A carts to the AMHA show last weekend to sell. I wish I had a dozen more. They were fighting over them. Now I can buy the Pacific for her. She had a birthday yesterday. I won't say how old she is but it ends in zero and is only 2 years away from Social Security.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back