Question for Miniv????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
My horse would not take any liquid when he was having colic. I syringed liquid with mineral oil in his mouth but he would not swallow it. It all drained out. How do you get them to take the liquid?

Sometimes it can be a long tedious, and MESSY proposition. We syringe a little, holding the horse's head so he doesn't drop it and let everything fall out. Then we massage the throat. And we keep repeating that until the syringe is empty. I try to get as many as 6 big syringe- fulls in them.

Believe it or not........we had a full sized mare come in with a "funny tummy" yesterday. It was gas because she had pooped. So, we gave her a half dose of banamine and I syringed a combination of vinegar and water into her mouth. It was interesting seeing me try to hold her head up. Yes, she wasted a lot of it, but I got some down her because I just kept giving her more. I massaged her belly and sides for awhile.........About 3 hours later, she pooped again and was hollering to go back with her friends.

Sure hope your little one with the colic is better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I did that but next time I will give less and hold the head up longer. I'll also try the vinager too. Bud is better now but it took him until the next day to poop. He did take food the night I took him to the vets but not much water. I really thought he had a blockage cause nothing was going or out. When he regurgitated I really was concerned but by the time I got him to the vet he was doing much better. If there's a next time I'll do the meds and load him up for a ride. He seemed to like the ride too! He he!

Latest posts

Back