question for minimule

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrn

Reaction score
If you breed a mini horse (male) to a female jenny do you get a mini mule or a hinny?? Have a chance to get a jenny that is bred.. and I have the mini horse already.. just mulling it over.... Linda

Hi Suthrn,

You would get a hinny. I know Meadowridge has a stallion that will breed jennys but it is hard to get that to happen.

Not all stallions will breed jennys and because the chromosomes are different in horses and donkeys, it is harder to get a jenny to settle with a stallion.

The donkey foals are awfully cute though, if she is bred.

Good luck with it if you do try though. Who knows, maybe your stallion will like jennys!
smile.gif

He's awfully young yet (4 mo) and it would be a while before he would be old enough and the jenny won't foal till May and I'd want the foal off her before I'd even consider breeding her back at all.. I'm real undecided on not gelding the little mini horse.. my good sense says to geld him and if the aww you gotta breed her again gremlin jumps on me later on surely I could find a stud to breed to? I just wory cuz I don't have a trailer to go back and forth places and it can be bothersome to always have to ask someone to come to me.. oh well.. lol thanks

Linda

Hi Linda, I'm the one (MeadowRidge) that has the stallion that will bred jennys
thumbup.gif
and I also have "Snickers" ...he seems to be the only mini hinny on the forum. His pis from last winter are on here under "winter fun". (Shawna, if I send tyou some current pics of him, could you post them for me??
frusty.gif
) Minimule is right, it is alot harder to breed for a hinny then a mule, and people are always emailing me about that. Either way..you would love being owned by either a hinny or a mule! :thumbsup:They are just so cute and comical. I have 2 jennys bred for 2005 to my stallion, so now I have to wait impatiently again. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Corinne

I'm just wondering what problems I will have keeping the little horse a stallion? I've never had a stallion of any size...when we had "big" horses they were geldings or mares...I don't have a lot of room to keep things apart if they needed to be.. and I don't know how hard he would be to handle.. I'm not very big.. short and skinny and old.. lol.. so I don't need something that will be roughing me up..

Linda

Well, as far as how he will act.......the mini stallions are much more easy to manage than the big guys. I have 3 mature stallions, 1 yrlg, and 1 wnlg. I can actually walk any of them (except the donkey) by the mares with just a rope loosely hung around their neck. I spend a lot of time handling mine and teaching them good ground manners. As long as they know what you expect of them and don't take any "back talk", they aren't too bad. If you only have the stallion and the jenny, there shouldn't be too much issue with them being together, at least not if he isn't interested in breeding her.

Corrine, yeah, send me the photos of Snickers and I'll get them up for you. I'd love to see current ones too!

My mule from this year, Jester, is the most awesome mule I've dealt with. He is so laid back and sweet! Nothing seems to phase him. Unfortunately, his dam is the one that aborted so I don't get a duplicate next year
no.gif
BUMMER!!

Latest posts

Back