Question for breeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodnldy

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before. I tried searching but could not come up with the topic I saw it in . I have an older mare that is acting very studly with a couple of the other mares. The stud is not out with them at the time and the girls she is teasing are not teasing him across the fence. Does this sometimes indicate a silent heat on one of their parts? What have other experienced breeders had with this type of behavior?? I hate to haul her to twon but may take her and see if my vet can figure it out. Just looking for possibilities and things to ask the vet.

Thanks in advance

Cheryl

My lead mare will mount another mare who is in heat or right after we have covered a mare and put her back in the paddock. Is this what you are describing? Or something else?

Just as Christine said above, my boss mare will mount other mares after they've been covered (immediately after). She was pregnant at the time and had a successful pregnancy / carried to term.

Just as Christine said above, my boss mare will mount other mares after they've been covered (immediately after). She was pregnant at the time and had a successful pregnancy / carried to term.
We have experienced the same as Jill.

Well now this is interesting as I have a mare that is not the boss mare. She is the only mare we bred this year to our new stallion. She ultrasounded not in foal, however she has not been back in heat either. Because it is later in the year I don't plan to try rebreeding until next spring. Her best buddy came into heat and she was all over her, strutting and carrying on and screaming, however she did not mount her.

I did question the vet about this as I've heard of pregnant mares exhibiting this type of behavior. He said he highly doubted we missed her pregnancy on the ultrasound and that early next year we may need to regulate her hormones with some regumate. He said the behavior I described indicated a hormone issue. This mare has always been a bit of an odd duck. If something weird is going to happen to someone it will undoubtedly always be her.

Not sure if that helps but thats what happened here.

Well now this is interesting as I have a mare that is not the boss mare. She is the only mare we bred this year to our new stallion. She ultrasounded not in foal, however she has not been back in heat either. Because it is later in the year I don't plan to try rebreeding until next spring. Her best buddy came into heat and she was all over her, strutting and carrying on and screaming, however she did not mount her.
I did question the vet about this as I've heard of pregnant mares exhibiting this type of behavior. He said he highly doubted we missed her pregnancy on the ultrasound and that early next year we may need to regulate her hormones with some regumate. He said the behavior I described indicated a hormone issue. This mare has always been a bit of an odd duck. If something weird is going to happen to someone it will undoubtedly always be her.

Not sure if that helps but thats what happened here.
Candice,

Want to share with you our vet did miss a pregnancy once with ultrasound. I felt the foal kick when she was 7 months gestation and was pleasantly surprised - she had a beautiful filly in the spring
default_smile.png

Well this gal is definitly the boss lady. No one argues with her. She was pastured with the stud until the end of November. I have been watching her close but so far no pregnacy signs.
default_no.gif
She is 18 now and had not been bred for a couple of years prior to me bringing her home. I love her to death and I really would love a foal but she has a forever home here even if she doesn't do anything. Right now she is fat ,sassy and happy . I didn't get these guys expecting to get rich. Shucks so far I haven't even advertised any foals. Just love them instead. Sooner or later I will need to since 2 of 3 foals this year are fellas
default_wacko.png
Oh well, Thanks guys, Cheryl

We have a couple of mares that will let us know when another mare is in heat.

They can be VERY useful for the silent heat mares to let you know they are ready to be bred to a stallion.

I have not had it associated with a "hormone imbalance".

The pregnant mares all carry their foals fine. Some of the mares that do this are pregnant, and some are not.

We consider ourselves lucky to have these mares.

One mare I have, has fillies, but the one time she was PG with a colt, she acted like that and mounted other mares.

Another mare that was PG with a colt was always huffing & sniffing noonies (my mare right? LOL)

and squeaking around mares as they came out of the breeding shed.

It would be wonderful if it turns out your girl is bred!!!
default_yes.gif
I hope so!

Latest posts

Back