Question for breeders on a newborn colts um.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Ok this is sort of weird thing I noticed a maiden mare foaled a colt on Friday, been doing great, happy bouncing around like normal. However, you know how these new little boys just let it all hang down? This little fellow doesn't at all, I've never seen it, I figured it normally hung there till they learned to pull it up. I thought all my colts did that but maybe they all don't?

My other colt has it there all the time.

Is he normal?
default_unsure.png

Thank you

Actually, my colts never let it "dangle" unless they are peeing. They don;t just let it hang out all the time, or at least never that I have seen.

Good to know I must just look at my colts at the right time cause it seems like it was always dangling.....LOL Good I won't worry.............
default_laugh.png

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Dangling more is a GOOD thing! Its nature's way of making sure they don't pee on their umbilical coed, keeping it wet and having more chance of infections via the navel.

Robin

(just in case, for you or for others)

Make sure he's peeing. A friend of mine years ago had a QH foal and his penis was not on the outside. I don't know exactly what they did, but some surgical proceedure so he could pee and he grew up fine and strong. But since I heard about her colt, I always am looking for issues with the boys at first.

Make sure he is dropping it when he is peeing, we had a colt about 2 or 3 years ago that was not, we had to go and pull it down. It was almost like it was stuck up in there.
default_wacko.png
The vet said it happens sometimes when I was telling him about it, and he said if you do not pull it down and out for them an infection could set up in there from when the pee. Go figure, little boys are always more trouble then girls it seems.
default_laugh.png

I had an Arab colt that had a skin covering over his penis and he could not let it down and he could not pee. At day 3 they (the breeder) discovered something was really wrong. The vet came out and cercumsized (sp?) him and he never had another issue with it.

Latest posts

Back