Question...Can anyone tell me how to find out where

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
I've seen comments on here before where folks have said that they could somehow tell from an email's IP address where the email originiated from. Can someone please share with me how this is done and how I could do it myself?

Thanks!!

If you do a search there are a lot of different sites that do it. Usually you can just find the city and state that the IP is located in. Be sure the sites are free though. I think this one is free?

iplookup

Thanks Kay & Carol!! Ok...stupid question maybe, but how do you actually find the IP address of an email??
default_unsure.png

Well, I am sure it's a bit different with different web mail addresses but on my Bell South account.....when I open up the email.........on top by the header it has a clickable link that says "VIEW SOURCE" The originating IP address is there.

if you put in the email addy first on some of these sites it will give you the IP then you trace the IP

There is no way of knowing if any of the locations these sites come up with is the town it was sent from. For instance my IP will tell you I am from Dudley, MA. I am not, I am a few towns north. That is the CURRENT location of my internet providers something or other. A month ago it was Worcester. Mine changes every now and then and has never been the town I actually live in.

Thank you everyone!!! I did figure out how to find the IP address in my yahoo mail. Checked a few where I knew where the sender lived and you're right, they don't show up as where they actually live. Tim's for instance shows he's in NY, but he actually lives in VA. Mine doesn't show up at all. Think it has to do with the location of the provider's server or something? Don't know. Did check some of the IP addresses on some of my spam mail and they all did show other countries.

Thanks again!!
default_smile.png

The ones I checked using that link above didn't even come up close. One that I know is in Manitoba came up as Mountain View California; another Manitoba one came up as Washington DC and one from South dakota comes up as being from New York. One that I really wanted to know where it came from came up as "unknown". I checked 4 spam messages; one comes up as North Carolina and 3 others shown the IP address as "unknown" so I couldn't check them. Not much help from that I guess.

Latest posts

Back