question at foals first trim

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I have a tiny 3 month old foal.She has developed long toes and going lower in the heel. My blacksmith is not very good at trimming the foals.But is good and patient working with them. I need to know should her toes be more trimed then her heels, to bring her legs straighter again? thanks

I personally ( without seeing her ) trim the toe a bit more than the heel. When you clean the hoof you cn usually see the amount that needs removed. I have rasped mine a couple X's already and they are 3.5 MOS. Hope all goes well with the trimming, and you might want to try regular rasping.

From my experience, most foals will grow more toe, and it usually needs to be squared off with a rasp, a little, so they can stand "up" on their legs... If this has not been done allready, she probably has some excess toe to trim.

I start rasping my little ones at a week old....and sometimes have even trimmed some at birth...when necessary. I will continue rasping every week (more off the toe than heel) to encourage them to get up on their toes instead of rocking back on their heels.

We just did 2 week old Little Timmy last night.

Here is a nice link for you to print out for your farrier:

www.equipodiatry.com/foaltrm.html

My little guy had quite a lot of toe trimmed off at two weeks old; he's been done every six weeks since along with the mature horses.

Andrea

My filly, Lily, has had her feet trimmed twice, third time next week, and she is 2 1/2 months old. had to start at 2 weeks old. her toes grow really fast and then she gets back on the heel. trimming every 4 weeks has kept this from happening again.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Yep, just as everyone is saying.....those little ones' toes need trimming!

We start at a couple of weeks with rasping, earlier if necessary. Many of our babies are at 4 months and have been trimmed at least 3 times now.

MA

We trim outs every 4 weeks, I know its a pain and spending but worth it in long run.

Latest posts

Back