Question and VS and travel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhpminis

Reaction score
Otis Orchards, Washington (just east of Spokane)
OK, I am hearing all these reports from my vet and elsewhere and unless I go way out of my way I cannot offload anywhere on my way to OK from Washington that is a reasonable stopping point.

Going across the north is out as you cant offload in Montana or Wyoming and Sheridan or Gillette would be the first night.

Go down through Idaho and Salt Lake area is the first night that way.

How strict is this and any suggestions on which way to go?

Am I being a worry wart?

When you say unload do you mean roadside to clean the trailer and rest horses or do you mean offload at a friends or stopover place?

I was told that if you have no VS and vet states so on health cert (of course if coming from a county tht has it you should have a blood test as well)

that you can pass thru and unload with no issues however.. i would say MT is a bit more strict since they have it now i am guessing?

I would check with your state vet since the requirements tend to change pretty quickly

Last edited:
Annette, You may keep checking the Montana Livestock Board site as to the safety of coming through Montana. Of course there is Wyoming to consider too. The latest news I have heard on the VS is that it is spreading faster than expected. Yes it is scarey to know it is jumping around all over .....it is being taken very seriously here. Mary

hhpminis said:
OK, I am hearing all these reports from my vet and elsewhere and unless I go way out of my way I cannot offload anywhere on my way to OK from Washington that is a reasonable stopping point.Going across the north is out as you cant offload in Montana or Wyoming and Sheridan or Gillette would be the first night.

Go down through Idaho and Salt Lake area is the first night that way.

How strict is this and any suggestions on which way to go?

Am I being a worry wart?

457658[/snapback]

Thanks Mary

I think we have decided to not go the northern route as it would just make too long of a day to get out of the restricted area. Montana has always been very strict on having proper documentation and such even without an outbreak of something.

We will go over to Butte and then down through Idaho. This will get us into Utah the first night and since we only have 6 on board for the trip to Tulsa we can make stalls on the trailer and just keep them in the trailer for the first night. Davis county is not on the list I believe as of yet and that is where we will be the first night.

The second night takes us into Kansas. We can get them off there and let them stretch out a bit.

I think you are making a good choice to avoid this area. It just isn't worth the risk to your horses. Have a safe and winning trip. Mary

hhpminis said:
Thanks MaryI think we have decided to not go the northern route as it would just make too long of a day to get out of the restricted area.  Montana has always been very strict on having proper documentation and such even without an outbreak of something.

We will go over to Butte and then down through Idaho.  This will get us into Utah the first night and since we only have 6 on board for the trip to Tulsa we can make stalls on the trailer and just keep them in the trailer for the first night.  Davis county is not on the list I believe as of yet and that is where we will be the first night.

The second night takes us into Kansas. We can get them off there and let them stretch out a bit.

458016[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back