Question- AMHA From Temp to Perm Status

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
For some reason I thought AMHA Permanent status was at 5 years old but I just saw that it was 36 months. Since we are newbies to this I need some help. I went to AMHA website and printed the papers out to do this, but I see that there may be a penalty involved as Gracie's boys are 4 year olds this year. I just need to verify that all I need to do is follow the directions- fill out paperwork, send in original Temporary Registration papers, 4 photos, and appropriate fees? Also, can I measure them or do they have to have some "official" measure them? I do have a mini measure stick with a level and all and do know how to do it (flat surface, square and at last mane hair).

Thank you!

It was changed about 2 years ago from 5 to 3. Cost me a bundle to catch up. There was I believe a year grace period but now the late penalty is assesed.

You can measure them yourself.

What I was told by the AMHA office is that if the papers have a 5 year old permanent date, then you don't have to bring permanent until then. No penalty involved. If you want to do it when they turn three you can.

Look on your registration papers to see when they expire. Those who were born before this change CAN BE taken permanent at 3 years old, but do not HAVE TO be permanent registered until they are 5.

OOps, typing at the same time as Karen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good! I looked at their papers and they say valid until their 2012 5th birthday date. YEAH!

Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back