Question about wrong color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhondaalaska

Reaction score
Hi

On my mares papers she was put down as a grey .

She is eleven years old. She is not coal black but has a brownish tinge to some of her black.

The lady that had her before me said she was a grey because she had That brownish tinge. And not coal black.

A grey is when they loose thier color and turn white, was my understanding.

She is in my avatar and I have more pics in my albums.

My question is this how hard is it it change the color on the papers.

I am not showing but I like her black And white and would like her papers to be correct .

She don't look grey. What color were her parents? I'm surprized the registry accepted that color. Could she be silver dapple?

There used to be a form you can fill out to send to AMHR but I can't seem to find it, maybe someone else can find it. I think last time all I did was wrote a note and said please change this horse's color and you must send in current pictures even if the pics are on the papers. I think it's $20 to do.

In AMHA it's about the same, I don't believe there is a form to fill out, just write a note and current pics. I don't believe it cost anything to do, BUT, when I did it last time I was transferring her at the same time and it was clearly obvious that there was a mistake on her papers listing her as a bay pinto when she was clearly obvious that she was a solid. But I couldn't find a correction fee.

You will also need to be a member in both registeries to do any paperwork.

Her dam was a black and white pinto and her sire says chestnut but he looks darker to me .

I am sending in her transfer papers I just need to get new pictures done, I cut one hoof off when I took them so I just need to get the time to do new ones so I can send them in and finish it. I already paid for the membership.

Here is a link to stormy her sire

http://saddlepotatoes.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

The bay is not him

Diva's papers say her mane is flaxen ,

Isn't that for a red base coat? What would I call it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver dapple simply means silver black--either way dapples may or may not be present. I always mark silver black on my papers and AMHR always changes that to silver dapple.

I agree I think her sire is a silver black or silver dapple. Some of your silver dapples may not have any dapples and some of your gorgeous ones will have distinct dapples. With her being fuzzy in your avatar you will probably not see any dapples on her til she is shaved down and you may still not see them. Also silver dapples have flaxen manes and tails. Search silver black horses on google and look at the pics and a lot match her sire.

Her sire looks a straight forward Chestnut Pinto to me, he's the one with blue eyes? On the first page? Stormy? Cannot see how he would be Silver Black!! But of course, Chestnuts can easily "hide" Silver, so no reason why the Silver can not have come form him anyway. The mare you have is a Silver Black Pinto- for reasons best known to itself the AMHA call this "Grey" when it suits them, which is why it was accepted. You are right, it is not Grey and needs to be changed. Make sure the photos you send show her colour clearly and you will not have any problems.

Chestnut pinto Jane? I see a silver black, no pinto! No blue eyes either...I see a picture of Stormy and Mukluk getting to know each other face to face, and Mukluk would be the bay?

Muluk is the bay

So I should put her as silver black pinto?

They had her mane and tail down as flaxen

So that is correct you are saying

I was on the wrong page (so, what else is new?
default_whistling.gif
)

I was on the wrong page (so, what else is new?
default_whistling.gif
)
When I first opened the link - the only pic showing was the chestnut pinto at the top of the page. Also, the "blog" (?) states that they only have one mini horse in the header - so even tho the other two might be minis, I took the pinto as being the mini... Until someone else stated that the sire is the silver pictured greeting the other - I wouldn't have known that was the sire...
default_giveup.gif

Rhonda - in some of the Christmas driving pics she looked silver black to me (pinto). The silver gene changes the black in the mane to flaxen - many, many different shades.

When my silvers are "haired up" - (winter coats) - my non-horsey neighbors call them the "tan ponies". When they are shed out - most call tem the "grey" ponies... When they are clipped - most look "blue" - some look "pink"... Our two homozygous silver mares are really light - and most people call them palominos - except during the summer when they are distinctly "grey". Some silver "dapples" have dapples and some don't. I have one who is a "golden brown" right now - and she's starting to shed and I'm seeing dapples "pop up" in her coat! I can't wait to see what color she is this summer. I have two that I would have sworn were silver bays - both tested recently as NO BAY agouti but both are heterozygous black (Ee)... My darker silvers are all homozygous black (EE). The color stuff is great fun and I've enjoyed having my silvers... I have one silver bay tobiano mare - out of a bay 1/2 arab pony mare and by our silver homozygous tobi stallion. Her coloring is VERY distintly different from my others. She has not actually been tested - however - she can only carry one bay gene (from her dam). She carries one E - would be interesting to see if she got an E or an e from her dam - I don't know and since she's only 1/2 Shetland, I didn't get her color tested. Her two full brothers - one didn't get the silver gene at all, the other is silver black. All are tobianos... The two geldings will make a matched pair (other than coat shades, LOL) when mature (I think!) and they will be going to their new home soon(as a pair).

If you go take a look at the webpage, you can go to individual pages. The ponies we've had color tested are listed at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page are links to that pony's photo album(s). Some you can follow from birth thru now - others are from their purchase to now... The photo albums start at current pics and go backwards in time to purchase or birth. Some have AMAZING color changes - from shedding foal coat, getting clipped, grooming, getting in/shedding winter coat. One mare (Stuffy) got really sick during her pregnancy with her first foal while she was on lease. The only pic I have of her during that time - after she recovered from going septic - she turned "red". Figure it was due to the drugs and the stress on her system while her body trying to "get right". Her darker body has some red tinge, but her mane!~!! wow!!

I have a stallion that the papers say he is a silver dun. He clearly is not, no dun stripe down back. He is a silver smokey black, light chocolate color with a lighter mane and tail.

My business partner has a mare that says on her papers she is a grey pinto, NOT! She is a smokey black pinto.

I love that everyone thinks she is silver black as that is one of our most favorite colors ( you never know what you get)

I have only seen her in woollies so it will be interesting to see her shed out this summer.

I knew she wasn't grey and I didn't like that her papers said she was even if we don't show

I wanted it it be what she is.

So she is a silver black tobiano pinto with a flaxen mane and tail.

Is that all I have to tell them?

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png

Paintponylvr I am going to go through your pictures.

Both the AMHA and AMHR have customer work order forms that have a line for "certificate correction" You will need to send current photos of the horse (front and back, left and right), the certificate that you have now and the correction fee (I don't remember the cost off the top of my head, but it is on the work order form). You do have to be a member to have work done. They will chose the color if they do not "agree" with the one selected on the form as I think that they require you to select an option form their "approved" selections, which can be found on the registration application. Remember, some horse's color changes with age and with seasonal coat. Horse's color phenotype (what they look like) can be surprising from their genotype (DNA/genes they carry) so mayne send photos of horse in full coat and clipped or at least shed out. good luck,

I still think she is Silver Bay Pinto but I am prejudiced as that is my all time favourite!

For AMHR you would call her a Silver Dapple Pinto with a Light Mixed Mane and Tail.

Back