Question about winter coats...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horsefeathers

Reaction score
Are everyones else's minis already getting their winter coat? I am down here in SE Texas (where the heat index is around 105 most days), but I noticed about a week ago that BOTH of mini's are already getting longer thicker hair and shedding like crazy at the same time... is it just me???

Chris B.

[SIZE=14pt]No, it's not just you. Ours have somewhat heavier coats but scratching and shedding just like spring. Guess it's the 100+ days we've been having.[/SIZE]

My lot, including the foals, are half way into their winter coats- it has nothing to do with temperature, you see, it's to do with the number of hours of daylight. As the days shorten, the coats grow!!

I'm in central NM and we are still hitting mid 90 temperatures for the most part.

My minis all, yes all 18 of them, started getting their coats almost a month ago. About 3 of them have half of their winter hair already
wacko.gif

But no they are not shedding, just growing hair.

Yep here to now getting dark around 9:30 or so here so hair is growing ugh.. i hate those big winter coats when i was in So Cal i was able to body clip year round but not here in ID so gotta learn to deal with it but i am not a fan of the yak look
smile.gif

Yup mine too, I'm also in Idaho but near the MT and WY borders. Their hair is thickening up and started to get a little longer a few weeks ago!
new_shocked.gif

Even though we have some really high temps here our horses are getting winter coats.Feel sorry for them and just hoping it cools down real fast. Mary

Horsefeathers said:
Are everyones else's minis already getting their winter coat?  I am down here in SE Texas (where the heat index is around 105 most days), but I noticed about a week ago that BOTH of mini's are already getting longer thicker hair and shedding like crazy at the same time... is it just me???Chris B.

457292[/snapback]

102 over the weekend, with winter coats
new_shocked.gif
I had the fans and misters going!!
yes.gif

Mine too! It's been near 100 here for over a week, and they are shedding like crazy! It's sooo hard not to give them a clip, they are so miserable.

Does this mean we are going to have a really bad winter?

wub.gif

It's kind of odd...it's getting dark around 8pm here and we've been having nights in the 50's yet my horses are merely sitting in their regular coats! They've been shedding a lot but I dont see any looong winter strands like what my neighbors mini's and I assume all of your mini's already have...whats wrong that mine are still sitting in regular coats?

rabbitsfizz said:
My lot, including the foals, are half way into their winter coats- it has nothing to do with temperature, you see, it's to do with the number of hours of daylight.  As the days shorten, the coats grow!!
457304[/snapback]

People keep telling me that.. have been keeping a record of my minis for the last 5 years.. and there are variables up to a month.
wacko.gif
Very careful to check the coat length and thickness. They are given the same feed and Vitamins over the years.

Either that or I just have some strange horses, or it is because I live in an area that normally gets lots of clouds..
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back