Question about tree that may be poisonous.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

S

small herd

I wanted to ask if trees with leaves that turn yellow are poisonous ?

The tree is called a Larch. They are so pretty in the fall and I wanted to plant one outside the horses fence.

Thanks.

Wee Mite Miniatures

Reaction score
I do not know anything about this tree other then I have one on my front lawn.

The web site I posted below says " Its leaves, though they come at a season when grass is generally plentiful, are eaten by sheep and cattle in Switzerland, and valuable charcoal can be made from the branches"

http://www.2020site.org/trees/larch.html

S

small herd

OPPS !! That's the wrong tree !!
LOL !!!

Let me think what it's called....

S

small herd

Ok I got it !
It's called a LOCUST. Are they poisonous ??

susanne

dB
Reaction score
It depends upon the type of locust tree.

Black Locust (Robinia Pseudoacacia) is extremely toxic

Honey Locust (Gleditsia) are not at all poisonous.

They are completely different species, not at all related.

Common names can be extremely misleading, as in the example above suggests. To be safe, get your extension agent or a knowledgeable nurseryperson to tell you what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

small herd

Thanks Susanne

It's probably a Honey Locust. We are going to the nusery tomorrow.

attwoode

Reaction score
I would also be concerned about the thorns that are found on locust tree branches. I think I remember there was a thornless variety of honey locust. Larch (tamarack) also turns bright yellow in the fall. It is a coniferous tree that looses its leaves in the fall and grows very quickly - no thorns and relatively little mess. If you are just looking for yellow leaves in the fall there are many to choose from.

crponies

Reaction score
I have trees called locust trees by my ponies. I don't really like them though because they are extremely messy. They are always loosing something, flowers, leaves, seed pods... They do smell nice when they are blooming though. I've seen my ponies eat parts of them sometimes and they've never had a problem.

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
I would choose a different tree. The horses will eat the seeds and they are fattening! Also it can sucker out and spread. Honey locust doesn't have thorns. Ask the nursery for a good tree. Locust is tough, but other trees might serve you just as well.

Marsha

Latest posts