Question about trainers and contracts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
I have never dealt with a training contract. Is it normal for the trainer to take no responsibility for the horse if it is injured or stolen from their property? Is it also normal for to have to provide insurance coverage for your animal while on the trainers property? I have insurance coverage that covers my horses for liability should they get loose and cause a car accident or bite or kick a child but not should something happen to them. All answers and opinions will be greatly

appreciated on this.
default_sad.png

I've never dealt with a trainer contract, but I would for my own peace of mind want my horse insured fully (mortality/colic) while in the care of someone else.

As for no responsibility for them being stolen/injured? The horse will be in there care!!! That would be like sending a kid to day care and them saying we're not responsible if your child gets hurt or kidnapped! That just doesn't make sense to me, but for all I know it may be normal.

Personal opinion if something bothers you in a contract resolve it or pass it up. It will continue to bother you down the road.

Michelle@wescofarms said:
As for no responsibility for them being stolen/injured? The horse will be in there care!!! That would be like sending a kid to day care and them saying we're not responsible if your child gets hurt or kidnapped! That just doesn't make sense to me, but for all I know it may be normal.
Well, I know my parents certainly had to sign releases every single time I went on a school field trip, etc., saying that it wasn't the school's fault if I was injured or killed. I think that's sort of normal! The contract isn't talking moral responsibility but rather than the trainer cannot be held legally liable for those things. Think about it- if the horse breaks a leg in a freak accident or colics and dies despite the best efforts of the trainer and resident vet, does that trainer deserve to be sued into bankruptcy by a grieving owner for something that could have happened to anyone? OF COURSE it is the trainer's responsibility to take the best possible care of that horse and guard them against theft, etc. But stuff happens as we all know and I suspect these days they are almost forced to cover themselves in order to remain in business. If you are comfortable with the trainer and the facilities I would simply sign, insure the horse, and not worry too much about it. It'll be fine!

Leia

Yes, these are normal contract statements. Which is why it is HIGHLY recommended that you insure your horse if you are going to put forth the money to have it professionally trained and handled. It is also highly recommended that you get references on any trainer you decide to use.

Thanks everyone. now I have a little more time to think about it. Just my luck too sick to do anything even work right now. No way will I climb into a rig and make others sick. So here I set just pondering the situation and I think I have found a better trainer who is willing to take on the Duck. Closer to home and very highly recommended plus I feel I already know her from past years. This will work out one way or another.

Yes .....those are proper statements for trainers and outside breedings as well. I have all my horses covered with insurance and if we do outside breedings with someone I have it listed on the breeding agreement that they have to have the horse insured as well while staying at our place being covered by our stallions. You have to cover everything to make sure there is no confusion between the parties involved just in case anything that would happen while their horses is at another facility for either training, breeding, ect..

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT TRAINING CONTRACTS, BUT BEFORE I CHOSE MINE I WOULD GO BY UNANOUNCED AND VISIT WITH HER SEVERAL TIMES. I DID RESEARCH ON HER ASKING QUESTIONS AND WHEN I LEFT MY HORSE SHE WAS TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR HIM. NO IF'S ANDS OR BUTS. MAIN THING KNOW YOUR TRAINER,THEY HAVE YOUR PRECIOUS BABY. AND HAVE THEM KNOW YOU.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Also, let your trainer know your expectations. If Championships at local shows is going to make you happy, let them know that. If the only thing that is going to please you is a Top Ten at World or Nationals, let them know that. The trainers I know and use know what I expect. They evaluate my horses KNOWING my expectations. If they think they can not achieve what I want with that horse, they will tell me up front and together we will pick out a more suitable horse for MY expectations. They have the experience, not I! Insurance is a good idea. I don't do it because of where I send my horses. I have known them personally on a 'friend' level for several years and know first hand how they care for animals in their care. I know not everyone is as lucky as I am though!

I had a contract with a trainer, I also had an attorney look it over. I was told that it was so full of loop holes that it wasnt worth the paper it was written on. Maybe? I don't know, just made me stop and think hard about future contracts. Accidents do happen, and so does incidents! Careful!

The only so called contract l had with a trainer for half a year was that it made sure they were paid on time and all other expenses were also mine to be delt with on a timely basis...l didn't carry insurance either just took my chances...all went well and they were always above board and honest...not always the case l learned from former experience.
default_biggrin.png

A contract can state or deny anything and even be agreed upon, but that doesn't always mean it will hold up in a court of law. If a animal was injured, lost, or escaped etc. due to the direct actions of a trainer while in their posession, I think the trainer even with a contract saying they have no liability, may find out differently in court. I believe there could be a professional implied responsibility even if not stated. I believe trainers should have to take responsibility for their hired help as well. After all, we're entrusting our beloved show horses to their daily care.

Besides disclaimers for certain liabilities, a contract for services should also detail what YOU are getting for your monthly fee. But, if you have questions regarding your legal rights regarding a contract, seek the advice of an attorney... don't just ask a friend or a forum group.

Latest posts

Back