Question about Thyroid

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyndiD

Reaction score
has been continually looking about to deliver for months now. I did breed her last fall but she should have delivered by now. I bred her early in the spring.

She never changes...always looks very pregnant, tail head never softened, never "dropped" and never developed a bag BUT she did get a swollen milk gland. I thought it was a false pregnancy, but now I wonder if its something whacky with her thyroid...any ideas ??
default_wacko.png

The only way to tell for sure is to have some blood work up done on her. Is she real cresty? I am lucky enough to have two mares with low thyroid
default_smile.png
and both also have foundered in the past, one still has founder problems every time the weather changes.

No, she is not cresty, just stuck in a pregnant-looking body.....but I will have blood drawn soon when he comes out to geld my yearling stallion.

I have a mare that we thought was going to do the same. Bagged up and all, now she is so fat, and we have had her dry lotted and on ration for two weeks and I am getting worried. I am having the vet out on Friday to pull blood. Will let you know.

I've had a couple of low thyroid mares over the years, but none looked as you describe. In these cases, they were overweight...basically looked FAT, but not pregnant.

My thyroid gelding looks pregnante. HOwever, my aunt has a thyroid pony mare. She doesnt look preggers, just really really thick neck and a bit heavy.

I do have a mare that is very cresty and I have to limit her intake of grass and grain, I had her tested for thyroid and it came back within normal limits..but she doesn`t really look as fat as the other mare in question.

I will have the blood drawn and let you know as well..its driving me crazy. I even cut back her grain a little and kept her off pasture for a month...and no change whatsoever.
default_wacko.png

I purchased a mare for a broodmare this spring as a 'bred mare' that was exposed to a stallion for several months last year. She is young and this would be her first foal. Not only was she not pregnant, though she is quite heavy and her neck is NOT cresty either- she came back with very low thyroid. I was told that without meds she will not settle or carry a foal, and then there is no guarantee and as a broodmare, a thyroid horse is not reliable. She was bred, in the meantime through 2 cycles to my stallion, and has not settled. She also has 'fat' down in front of her bag, like she is just beginning to bag up, but her flanks are not full like a pregnant mare, but her belly is quite big, and since different mares carry differently, especially for a first foal, I was duped into buying this mare for a good sum. I wont go into detail here, but the seller and her agent told me and others a few things in the meantime that were not true at all..... and this is still being dealt with on my end with no responses from the seller or agent.

Many times thyroid horses can be anemic too, because of the way the imbalance affects the body. The thyroid can affect many other health issues as well, due to the way it works on the body.

If the horse is thyroid, like people, it can flucuate and it is a life time of blood tests to make sure the medicine is the right dose, and not missing meds for one day, if you are hoping for a foal at all. My vet recommends a blood test every 3 months for the first six months, then if the level is ok, to check twice a year to make sure the meds and thyroid level are sufficient.

Latest posts

Back