Question about riding helmets...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyndiD

Reaction score
2 years ago I purchased a "Troxel" helmet for my granddaugher and niece to wear while riding. Last winter I left it hanging in the barn on a nail and somehow it fell off and our "OLD" labrador got it and chewed it up..I mean chewed it to pieces!!!

My question is this, I thought that was a fairly good brand, but if an old dog can destroy it so easily should I buy another or is there something better on the market?? Could it be safe if it went to pieces that easily??

Any suggestions??

Troxel is a great brand, and so is international. Both have saved my life.....literally. the dog chewing them up can certainly happen, since they are designed to only absorb the shock of a fall. Also, they are only good for one fall, and must be replaced no matter if they look fine or not.

I second the opinion on Troxel. It's been years since I've ridden over fences, but my Troxel sure saved me a couple of times.

I rode in a Troxel when I had that accident and I am very sure it saved me from at least being a Veg.

I now have both a Troxel and a Tipperary and I find I that I am always grabbing for the Tipperary, as I find it the most comfortable. Also like how the Tipperary protect the lower back of your head.

My daughter's Horse 4-H requires that everyone use a Troxel .......or they don't ride.

My daughter's Horse 4-H requires that everyone use a Troxel .......or they don't ride.
GOOD for them for enforcing safety with their youngsters!
default_thumbup.gif

The local horse club here (not 4H) by-laws say that a "rider won't be penalized for wearing a helmet".
default_new_shocked.gif
I couldn't believe it.

I like both Troxel's and Tipperary's. I used Troxel's for years, then moved on to a Tipperary. The Tipperary's are more comfortable and I do feel like they provide more protection, however the brims are flimsy and break pretty easily. It's not a safety issue, purely cosmetic, but I got sick of my plastic helmets breaking after a year or two and ended up buying a Charles Owen a couple of years ago. They are much more expensive, but you get what you pay for and they are great helmets.

i bought a troxel this year - the seirra, it is better safe than sorry and i have two kids that count on me. also i was told to replace my helmet every year to two years depending on usage/care etc. and after trama to it.

I too like Troxel helmets. One thing to remember helmet manufacturers recommend getting a new helmet after an accident, because any damage to the helmet from an accident can reduce the overall integrity of the helmet.

The design of the helmet relies on how the components work together to be strong, comfortable so it will be used and protect little noggins.

But like any safety device, if it has a defect or has been damaged...always replace it.

Go grandma!

I have 3 troxels here, one for each of us. Except the stupid guy that lives here thinks the kid shouldnt have to ware a helmet, and dont make him if we are not here.

I always ware mine, wouldnt be with out it. ITs not worth the risk for me.

I just got an equine e-newsletter that had an ad for Troxel and they have some GREAT new spring colors! I love Troxel and I'll bet your granddaughter will love the new designs!

Liz R.

Ditto on the Troxel. Had my bad wreck three years ago. Was wearing my Troxel. I do believe it saved my life. I pulled my head out of the dirt after hitting the ground very hard. My skull was the only thing that didn't hurt. Love that helmet, don't ride any more but I keep that helmet as a reminder of how lucky I am. It fit great, was very comfortable. Pretty colors too, mine's purple. cheers.

THANKS!!!

I did not realize they were only good for one 'fall'...that was a surprise to me...so I am doubly glad I asked about them!!!!

I am going to start searching for a new one for the girls. They are itching to ride and grandma told them NOT till I figured out the helmet problem..which you kind folks have done for me!!

Thanks again!!!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back