Question about possible bilateral cryptorchid

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuZuPetals

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here <3
I have a mini stallion somewhere between the age of 1 & 2. He was a rescue so I don’t have his exact age but based on his teeth I can say this much. Has anyone had one drop their testicles at an older age or should I consider him crypt? I cannot even palpate them. Stories, opinions please thank you!

thank you for your input what was the end result did his restocked ever drop or the vet just confirmed it was up there? Was he able to manipulate it down? Thanks again

My colt had nothing till he was close to 2 then one till he was 2 1/2. He was finally gelded mid Oct.

Stupid question since he's a rescue but any chance he has some scar tissue from already being gelded?

Miniatures are notorious for being late droppers, 3 seems to be about average for those that aren't present at birth or by yearling spring; but 4 years old isn't unheard of. If you can keep him separate and he's not acting up, I'd wait til at least spring of 3 year old year before jumping into crypt surgery (and if you have mares on the property, their presence can sometimes help the wayward jewels drop, especially in the spring when hormones are high).

Miniatures are notorious for being late droppers, 3 seems to be about average for those that aren't present at birth or by yearling spring; but 4 years old isn't unheard of. If you can keep him separate and he's not acting up, I'd wait til at least spring of 3 year old year before jumping into crypt surgery (and if you have mares on the property, their presence can sometimes help the wayward jewels drop, especially in the spring when hormones are high).
Thank you this is all great to hear and yes I had planned on waiting, no rush at all. He lives with my mares he can’t reproduce his parts are way to warm way up there ; )

Thank you this is all great to hear and yes I had planned on waiting, no rush at all. He lives with my mares he can’t reproduce his parts are way to warm way up there ; )
Not sure I'd risk it, as many minis have them sitting just above the ring, ready to pop out and do their job, or are smaller so not as easy to palpate. Probably not as big of a risk with a bilateral crypt, as a monorchid.

Along the lines of what Chandra said, even if he cannot produce viable sperm, he may breed your mares. This can be a problem for two reasons: 1. He may continue this behavior after gelding(and this can be quite aggravating) and 2. Every time a breeding takes place you are risking injury and infection. With minis the risk is smaller, but if you ever want to breed your mares down the road, you might want to consider this.

Along the lines of what Chandra said, even if he cannot produce viable sperm, he may breed your mares. This can be a problem for two reasons: 1. He may continue this behavior after gelding(and this can be quite aggravating) and 2. Every time a breeding takes place you are risking injury and infection. With minis the risk is smaller, but if you ever want to breed your mares down the road, you might want to consider this.

Thanks for your input:)
I wouldn’t leave him with my mares if he were bothering them, if I see any of that behavior he’ll be removed but as of right now I have 7 of them in this pasture, 3 mares, 3 geldings and then this guy. All my geldings were stallions while with me, one produced foals, the other was left behind by the previous owner when we bought this ranch 8 years ago. He was a 14 year old stallion very persistent with the ladies was kept separate until he was gelded. But my point is none of the boys had any interest in the girls after being gelded.

“Drago Hill” Oh no lol I have a Haflinger that was gelded at 16 years old, he was a difficult persistent stallion! I was so afraid he’d never calm down. Took him a good year to chill but he’s the best gelding now.

Just for the record, AMHA sanctioned shows didn't expect to "see" stallions' testicles until age 3. (Not sure if that's still the case.) So, ditto, about not worrying about your colt. Plus, since he was dumped, who KNOWS what care he received. Lack of proper nutrition can also delay development.

Latest posts

Back