Question about pintaloosa coloring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyndyna

Reaction score
I have a mare that I am looking at to possibly adding to my herd. She is a pintaloosa mare and has definite paint and appaloosa markings as far as mottling. But on her black areas I am trying to figure out if it is roaning or a possible snowflake pattern. Thanks for any help you can give.

rain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From this picture it looks like she may have some snowflaking/varnish and also some roaning most likely from sabino. Just my guess from this pic :D

Nice mare. Definitely Pintaloosa but it looks to me as if she has only Lp. This is only a "problem" (and I use the word advisedly) if you do not have a full Appy stallion or one carrying PATN and want to breed Appies....

I have previously owned a stallion Pintaloosa who also had tested for the homozygous pinto gene.When bred to pinto mares who were homozygous tobiano the foals were homozygous tobiano.He was never bred to an Appaloosa but when bred to a black and white tovero mare the foal looked and tested homozygous tobiano but is now showing signs of pintaloosa at age 6.Isn't the color genetics thing interesting and frustrating at the same time?It might be worth your time and money to have her color tested if the present owner is willing.Nice mare-she should produce nice babies of some loud color

My older stallion, Carlos, did not show any Pintaloosa characteristics until he was seven years old. He only has Lp, as this mare appears to have, ie snowflaking, and can, therefore, only throw Lp on non Appy mares. On a mare carrying PATN he threw a full Appy foal . It is, in fact, only just this year, now aged nine, that he is showing mottling round the eyes and nose.

Thanks for the replies. She has actually been DNA tested and carries both lp and the pinto gene. They said she has always either thrown pinto or appy patterning

No, there is no test for PATN yet. She obviously, visually, has both genes but she will only ever thrown 50/50 Pinto or Appy- after all, how many foals has she had? If she has thrown Pinto and Appy (it will only be characteristics unless she is bred to an Appy stallion) then that is likely to be down to luck, rather than genetics I am afraid.

I dont know how many she has had. My friend purchased her out of state and they was using her for a breeding program and they said they got pinto and app babies out of her. Of course it could be like you said breed to an appy stud get an appy colt. I know she has been tested and came back positive to the LP gene? I am just get started so I dont understand everything about the genetic testing.

OK, to get a visual Appy with spots all over etc, you need Lp + PATN not just Lp, so since there is not test for PATN and she has characteristics, her having Lp, but no PATN would seem logical. This still means that, without a horse carrying PATN she will not have fully marked Appies. Think of it this way- Lp is the light bulb, PATN is the switch that turns it on, without both halves of the genetic you do not get a fully marked (for example) Leopard. You get a varnish (snowflake) if the animal has Lp or a solid horse if it has PATN alone (which is very confusing as, bred to a mare such as yours, this combination can result in a fully marked Appy) Welcome to the wonderful world of colour and pattern- come and join us we do not bite

http://colorgenetics.info/forum

Latest posts

Back