Question about maiden mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
My mom and I were talking and she was saying that it is up to the baby when it is ready to be born. With our mare beign a maiden I was wondering if she can hold out longer because she is scared and not sure of what is happening or does she not have any say of when the baby comes?

Also, How common is it for maidens to not show any signs of getting ready to foal?

Alisha

MY MAIDEN MARE FOALED THIS MORNING AT 12:30AM. SHE WENT 333 DAYS. FOR THE LAST MONTH SHE HAS HAD THE LOSE TAIL HEAD. ON DAY 332 I WENT TO FEED IN THE AM AND SHE WAS BAGGED UP, NOTHING MUCH BEFORE THEN. LAST NIGHT AT PM FEEDING ( 9PM ), I CHECKED HER VULVA AND SHE WAS READY TO GO. I HAVE HEARD THAT A MARE CAN DELAY THE FOALING IF THEY FEEL THREATENED OR JUST NOT COMFY WITH HER SURROUNDINGS. BUT THE MARE'S BODY RELEASES OXCITICIN (SP) WHEN IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO FOAL.

We've had both cases...maiden mares that show no signs and maiden mares that follow the textbook. Each mare is different and each pregnancy is different. I know that doesn't help much, sorry.

I really don't think that the mare can hold off due to fear of foaling. Eventually that foal will be ready and will make it's way into the world.

Best wishes - keep us posted!

Thanks, I figured that she would not hold out that long but when you have been on mare stare since the beginning of June you start to think of a lot of reasons why she has not foaled..LOL..
rolleyes.gif

Hopefully I will be able to post within the next week of our first foal..
yes.gif
but the way she is looking it may be even longer.. I have for sure decided that we will not pasture breed again..LOL..

Alisha

Latest posts

Back