Question about horse transport

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
A bit out of the loop on this subject......but what is the average or range in cost per mile that people are paying

for a professional to haul their horses?

Does anyone know what the difference is in cost between hauling minis, ponies, and full sized horses?

Thanks

I don't know what the current rate is, but if the horse takes up a slot in the trailer it's paying full fee; I'll venture a guess that if two minis could ride in one slot then you might pay a slightly higher fee than one full-size horse, but not the amount of two, since you aren't taking up two slots.

I don't know about the rest of the country or what kind of discounts people offer for multiples, etc. Around here its usually a $50 minimum hook-up fee to take the trailer out (local or long distance) and $1.50-2.00 per mile. Its $79 per hour (3 hr minimum) to rent a bumper pull trailer in this neck of the woods.

I dont know- I have heard people getting HUGE differences in price quotes, just depending on what transporter you ask.

If you're talking about long distance hauls it can vary from the average of about .75 a mile to 1.50 a mile and no, it doesn't matter that they are minis as they are still using space on the trailer although if you are hauling more than one mini, you usually get a break in price. Make sure you get lots of references. Not all haulers take equally good care of horses. Some haulers will be less and some more but that seems to be about the average rate for long distance hauls.

The antique tractor and classic car forums offer sites where folks can post hauling wants/offers. They are generally private parties who look for a little extra to make a light load worth while. I wonder if some horse sites do also? I've never had to transport a horse, but I would look into that if I did.

Latest posts

Back