Question About Eye Color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skittlebittie

Reaction score
Okay, so if a foal is born with brown eyes, they stay brown. Bright blue eyes always stay bright blue. But, I have had green eyes at birth turn brown as the foal matures. Now, I have a foal with 2 dark blue eyes. Not sure how these will turn out. Sire has brown eyes, and dam has bright blue eyes. Can anyone enlighten me with their experience or expertise?

Thanks alot,

Lori

I have a horse who had blue eyes as a weanling and now at 5 they are amber. Of course that doesn't tell you what colour your foals eyes will be when its grown, with that I can't help.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to see a GREEN eyed horse!

The dark blue eyes that we've had have turned brown. We have had one mare in the past who had amber eyes. Love them! Unfortunately she never passed them onto her foals. (sigh)

We had a foal born with the most beautiful blue eyes. She has a fine line of light amber around the outside and by 6 weeks they we all amber.

Never saw anything like it and she has never passed on that trait.

The very dark blue eyes at birth have turned dark.

We had a foal last year that had green eyes at birth and actually still had them when he was weaned although they werent as bright green but now they are more of an amber coloring. They were very pretty and I thought very unusual as I hadnt seen them before. Both of his parents have brown eyes but sire does have blue eyes in the background.

We have also had the dark blue eyes at birth and for us they have always seemed to have darkened by the time they are weaned.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I have had two born with pretty light blue eyes only to have them turn amber at about 6mos.

Hey Lori,

default_saludando.gif

Ive had a Palomino foal born with smoky dark blue eyes, and his gradually changed to brown, after a few weeks.

Okay, so if a foal is born with brown eyes, they stay brown. Bright blue eyes always stay bright blue
"All Champagne horses are born with bright blue eyes", and they generally go from there to green and finally amber.

Thanks for all of your input. I guess it sounds like I will just have to wait and see what happens with the color. This is a buckskin filly that I am asking about, and she is my first buckskin, so I am excited! I have not had the dark blue eyes before, so I sure hope they stay blue and dont turn brown. But, even if they do, she is a nice filly
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back