Question about Dentist

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaminewbie

Reaction score
AT what age do you have their teeth done? I have a appointment at the local dental school this week and we are taking all of our horses. MY question is I have 4 weanlings-yearlings should I take them also or just skip them? Cost is not a factor, the work is free because it is the students doing it. Thanks
default_smile.png

You just never know what they can find in a horses mouth. I would defintelly take the babies just in case.

I had all mine checked just in case, nothing major little hooks on baby teeth.

My yearling this year needed quite a bit done and he was surprized he needed to do this much work on a yearling.

I have mine done from weanling on, on an annual basis.

A friend had a 2 year old that had teeth with such hooks (though his bite was perfect to look at the front) that he would almost flip over wearing a show halter because it hurt so badly!!!!!

We have Carl come every year and I have him check them ALL. If they dont need anything, then that is great. But if they do, then he takes care of it. Had a couple of just general floatings needed this year.

This way, I know they are always in good shape- no nasty hooks or points gouging anything or interfering with driving (bits) etc..... :bgrin

Carl will be at our farm tomorrow or wednesday. He looks at every horse, every time he comes. You never know when a horse needs work. He's never had to work on our yearlings but we want to catch any problems before they become big problems.

We have Carl come every year and he looks at all the horses, even the foals.

Latest posts

Back