Question about crossing APHA mare to Miniature stud…

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree! It should not be all sunshine and rainbows. But the horse world can be so mean to newbies. There needs to be a mix. We do not know anything about the OP or what her plans are so it is unfair to assume and thus judge them harshly. There is a ton of misinformation on both sides. And being rude on either side often does not cause people to listen and learn, instead it hurts them and causes many to leave, reducing the chance to learn.

Last edited:
I appreciate the views expressed. I’ve read some about the concerns of this particular kind of cross, and I content now that isn’t the direction I want to go.

I’m still going to find a smaller stallion to cross my mare to so I’m still going to “reek of backyard breeding”. But backyard breeding happens with purebred horses too.
This is not a decision I made overnight. I have a distinct purpose.
Thanks again for all the polite responses.

Actually, there are "munchkin" horses out there. They have full sized mini bodies on stumpy legs. It's a form of dwarfism. Not at all good. But it isn't what happens when breeding a full sized horse to a mini. JS.
This type of dwarfism has been identified, and it's referred to as Skeletal Atavism; often called "wiener dog", due to the normal body and short legs (much like how Dachshund 's look). [It's separate from the ACAN types of dwarfism.]

Actually, there are "munchkin" horses out there. They have full sized mini bodies on stumpy legs. It's a form of dwarfism. Not at all good. But it isn't what happens when breeding a full sized horse to a mini. JS.

I used to enjoy this forum...it was super fun...non-judgmental...friendly...educational.

But here recently, I've seen so much of the opposite here, it's becoming another "Karen" site. 😞😞

Why can't we leave the negativity over on FB, and keep this a fun place like it was?
Gosh, I have not noticed any negative comments going on here. I love this forum. Guess I must not be reading the posts that have negative comments. I don't consider expressing an opposite, constructive opinion to be a negative comment.
Good on the OP for considering the lethal white test to help make an educated decision about breeding.
I have not known personally of a horse with this problem, but I had a dog once with lethal white. It was not pretty.

I appreciate the views expressed. I’ve read some about the concerns of this particular kind of cross, and I content now that isn’t the direction I want to go.

I’m still going to find a smaller stallion to cross my mare to so I’m still going to “reek of backyard breeding”. But backyard breeding happens with purebred horses too.
This is not a decision I made overnight. I have a distinct purpose.
Thanks again for all the polite responses.
Hopalong,
I have 3 horses. Two well bred, registered and one grade pony that was given to me for free because she isn't a refined show horse. I put her in training and that little pony is a driving machine and I wanted another one just her size for my husband to drive and looked high and low but that's just not what the breeders want so I couldn't find one anywhere. I understand where you are coming from. Honestly, If I had the guts and more time on my hands I would have bred this grade mare of mine.

I just have to add my two cents. I think there has to be more a definition of responsible breeding and irresponsible breeding not 'registered' (purebred) breeders and backyard breeders. I have know many irresponsible breeders with registered horses(and other animals) and some wonderful backyard breeders. A lot of the opposite too of course.

This is not in any way directed at hopalong

Last edited:
Well--keep in mind, please--those of you who disapprove of breeding a mini to a full size horse: If the mini is AMHR registered, there is actually a registry for the resulting foal. The NSPPR was created for crossing an ASPC or AMHR horse to another breed (the original intent was crossing on a full size horse to create a large riding pony)--it can be any breed, and yes, full size horses fit the bill nicely. So--no reason for anyone to suggest that such a cross is bad breeding or backyard breeding.

Ok, I’ll bite…we’ve probably all heard the things about how when in doubt breeding anything to an Arabian is supposed to make for a very nice cross right? Hahaha. This is Sundance. Half Arab half mini. Not sure who was mom but I assume it was the Arab. He’s 12 years old and shouldn’t look like a weirdly proportioned baby anymore but alas….52B8B205-EA7A-4C7C-91B5-6024A4B533CC.jpeg
I don’t know. Maybe if the mini has really nice proportions it would work out better than this did. I liked his size, around 12hh. I traded some goats for him so didn’t actually pay for this pony-shaped slide.

Squeaky McMurdo--In all truth I have come across too many purebreds (various breeds) who are built like that pony (or worse). Do you know what the Arabian parent looked like?

In my experience the best breeds for a "magic" cross are Connemaras and Welsh ponies. Cross either with almost anything and you'll get something super nice although maybe not what you expect (I knew a horse whose father was a 14h Connemara and mother was a ~15.2h TB, he was about 16.2 and 1800lbs - lovely horse, but not exactly satisfactory if you were going for a fancy large pony, he was large all right 🤣 ).

Squeaky, I think your pony is lovely, and that is way better in terms of functional conformation than being 2" lower in front! Lots of people pay six figures for horses 5 hands taller with that very same conformation. Not exactly a bareback ride, but I bet he is a nice mover! Not sure where that came from since Arabs don't tend to be that withery and uphill and neither do minis, but he's cute for sure. :)

Latest posts

Back