Question about AMHR Nationals Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim

Reaction score
I was just looking through the R Nationals premium because we are thinking of going for a weekend to watch, and noticed that there is no Amateur Halter Obstacle and no Amateur Obstacle Driving. Does anybody know why this is? Thanks!

I don't KNOW why, but I'll hazard a couple of guesses:

one, the time it takes to do Obstacle classes is a LONG time, so there just isn't the time to do it? and

two, I don't know how many actually "pros" or trainers even show in that class. I've not examined it closely, but I know from all the local shows we go to, I rarely see trainers in those classes.

Just a couple of theories.

There are open and youth classes what she is asking is how come no amateur classes,

Hi Kim,

My guess would be due to time constraints. These classes are "optional" classes not "required" and the BOD do set the classes for Nationals.

Magic....Trainers/Pro's cannot compete in any Amateur Classes as they are consider professionals and get paid for training and showing horses.

An Amateur is a person over the age of 18 that does not accept renumeration for training/handling any horse in hand. If you need an 2005 Amateur Packet and don't have one I will be happy to mail you one if you will email me your mailing address. Thanks.

Karen Shaw

Chairman

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Program

Karen S said:
Magic....Trainers/Pro's cannot compete in any Amateur Classes as they are consider professionals and get paid for training and showing horses.

435160[/snapback]

Yes, I know, thanks.
smile.gif
I'm obviously not making much sense, let me try again-- What I mean is, that since having an additional bunch of Amateur Obstacle classes would add so much more time to the show, and since there don't seem to be a whole bunch of trainers in the "Open" class to show against anyway, the office (or BOD ) doesn't think it is necessary to split those classes into Open AND Amateur. Is that more clear?
smile.gif

Oh and, some of THE best Obstacle competitiors I've seen personally, are amateurs who just have a super bond with their horse-- trust goes a long long way in those classes!

I can't go to the Nationals myself this year, at least not to show, but am disappointed that this class isn't an option. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think personally even more important then the ammy obstacle (although there isnt a ammy hunter or jumper class either at least not that I remember)

is if it werent for time contraints.. i wish they would split those classes (hunter, jumper, obstacle) into at least 2 for the youth even 10 and under and then or 11 and under and then the rest to 18. but oh well cant have it all and as it is some people freak out on how long the classes are and how big they are cant please everyone all the time right
smile.gif

I asked this question last year and many responses I got is what your getting now too time consuming. This is the first year they are offering ammy jumping. Who knows maybe next year they will ad another individual class.

I've never been to AMHR Nationals (hoping for next year!) as I usually send a horse to Shetland Congress... but I have a question...

Do they run classes simultaneously at either AMHR or AMHA Nationals Shows?

Having been a QH person most of my life, I still enjoy going to the Ohio QH Congress (supposed to be the biggest horse show in the world). Anyway, they are able to hold ever class imaginable because they run more than one class at a time. So in one arena you might have the classes that run faster ... like pleasure ... while in another arena you have individual classes. This also gives people the ability to complete in individual classes between their group classes. I suppose the cost of and extra set of judges would probably be prohibitive.
unsure.gif

JMS Miniatures said:
I asked this question last year and many responses I got is what your getting now too time consuming. This is the first year they are offering ammy jumping. Who knows maybe next year they will ad another individual class.
435359[/snapback]

Amateur Jumping?!?! Really!?!! Awesome!! I totally missed seeing that, I'm going to have to look. Fun!!

What do you want to bet all the same people and horses will be in both classes? LOL! Except at least in ammy you have to jump your own horse.
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies - I, too, wish that they had the Amateur Obstacle classes, because those are my favorite classes, and I might show at R Nationals next year. It does make sense, though, that they are left out due to time constraints.

Maybe AMHR should consider showing in two rings at once to save time. That's what is done at AMHA Worlds, although only for one day, and it seems to work quite well. After the youth and amateur classes are finished in the main arena (the end of the day on Tuesday) that group of judges stays in the main arena to judge the futurity halter classes on Wednesday. The open group of judges start on Wednesday in the second arena to judge the open showmanship classes and the individual work performance classes (Hunter, Jumper, Halter and Driving Obstacle). Then, on Thursday, the open judges move to the main arena to judge the rest of the open classes (driving and halter), and the youth/amateur judges are finished. This method works quite well, and saves a lot of time. It helps that the show management is really accommodating if you have a conflict.

Also, at AMHA Worlds, the Youth Performance classes are split into 12 & Under and 13-17, and it seems to be pretty fair that way, because you don't have the small kids competing against 17 year olds.

Magic said:
JMS Miniatures said:
435359[/snapback]

Amateur Jumping?!?! Really!?!! Awesome!! I totally missed seeing that, I'm going to have to look. Fun!!

What do you want to bet all the same people and horses will be in both classes? LOL! Except at least in ammy you have to jump your own horse.
smile.gif

435379[/snapback]

Yah really
rolleyes.gif
. When I first saw it my first thought was "Hmmm interesting?"

I don't think the Tulsa Expo Center has another arena to beable to have 2 rings going on at once. They do have a warm up arena. Me myself, I don't think can stand having 2 things going on at once lol.

I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm not aware of that go into deciding what classes are offered, but it feels like if at all possible, as much should be "made time for" at the Nationals, because that's what we work towards and look forward to all year. Personally, if it's not offered at the Nationals, then I feel why bother having it at any qualifying AMHR show?

Latest posts

Back