Question about AMHA Hardshipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Hey, I know that they are cutting off the registeration of outside horses into the AMHA, when exactly? I think its 2013 correct? Also do they mean as in horses born after this year(as they'll be 5 in Jan/not real birthdate, but you know how the system works) or do they mean the ones born last year will be the last ones allow in? Or am I totally confused?
default_wacko.png
Thanks-Sarah

Also if you hardship a mare into AMHA, who has a colt of this year on side, and his sire is AMHA, doesn't that mean he gets in for the regular fee or how does that go? Thanks again so much ya'll!

AMHA is closing their books as of 2013. This year 2008, is the last year a foal can be born to be eligible for hardshipping.

If you hardship a mare in this year, and his sire is already AMHA, you can hardship the foal in for 1/2 the price right after the mare is hardshipped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have said that I would never hardship from AMHR to AMHA again, but now I am thinking gee if it is really going to close that would make AMHA sort of a breed, would it not? But, I sure would be mad it in 2015 or whenever they did another flip-flop and I spent all that money and then they opened it up again. It is hard to make plans this way. I guess nothings a sure thing.

Along these lines....

I have a stallion that is AMHR, but I will hardship him into AMHA when he's 5 (which is 2010). If I bred him to an AMHA/AMHR mare next year, for a 2010 foal... can the foal be hardshipped via the progeny thing (the 1/2 price thing), or does that require waiting until the foal is 5 (in which case the foal wouldn't make it in time)?

I hope that made sense... basically if you have a foal born after this year, who's parent was hardshipped, do you have to wait utnil the foal is 5 or can they be registered as a foal.... I guess if the stallion is hardshipped before the foal is born the foal can be registered normal, correct? But if the foal were born in, say, April, and stallion not hardshipped until June, what then? Obviously the best thing is to harship the stallion BEFORE the foal is born, but since it's so pricey, if it just doesn't happen in that order....?

Please let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try to reword it ;)

CheyAut,

Thr foal would be a perfect candidate for the progeny rule.

They can only be hardshipped in with the progeny rule until they are 5 years old. :)

And actually if you sent in your hardship registration and money before the foal was born you could have the foal registered for the regular price like you said, plus DNA charge.

But in case the foal is born before you send in the hardship registration and money........I had some friends this year who hardshipped a mare in and at the very same time the director inspected her, she also inspected her yearling daughter to hardship with the progeny clause so they got both done at the same time.

Susan O.

Nope, closing the books won't make AMHA a breed
default_smile.png
Just a registry that excludes horses with unknown and/or unregistered parents. Still a height registry........ No matter how exclusive we are.

Also,

This is the last year you can have a AMHR foal born, and have it be eligable to hardship into AMHA in the year 2013.

I have a lovely AMHR colt that was born this year, that is staying small that will be a good canidate for this also .

His sire is only 30"tall and is triple registered, but his dam is registered AMHR only.

If this colt stays within the AMHA height standards, then he will be eligable for hardshipping in 2013.

( I only wish AMHA would change their mind, and leave the hardshipping rule open past the 2013 date, for other nice prospects to be hardshipped that qualify.)
default_yes.gif

I also wish AMHA would leave the hardship rule in effect longer than 2013. :)

Susan O.

His sire is only 30"tall and is triple registered, but his dam is registered AMHR only.
How tall is his dam? I would hardship her in now if she's 34" or under and 5 yrs or older and then the colt will be eligible for hardship progeny now.

How tall is his dam?
The dam is AMHR, and 37" but this colt is going to be smaller with his sire being the 30" one.

I realize he will need to wait the 5 years first and then have an attendant measure him before he can be hardshipped.

But I am just a bit perplexed as to why they would close a hardshipping rule that brought them in so much money, and helped bring in more quality stock.

But I am just a bit perplexed as to why they would close a hardshipping rule that brought them in so much money, and helped bring in more quality stock
The gene pool for the AMHA horse is larger than the gene pools of most other breeds of horses. One can not create a breed if the registry is still open. AMHA is trying to make the Miniature horse a true breed, not just a height breed, where there is consitancy in the look.

In the dog show world a breed can not be reconized and thus registered with AKC until the dogs in that breed have a consistant look.

AMHA is not looking at this as a financial decision, but what they feel is best for the breed.

AMHA is trying to make the Miniature horse a true breed, not just a height breed, where there is consitancy in the look.
In the dog show world a breed can not be reconized and thus registered with AKC until the dogs in that breed have a consistant look.
I don't see how that will ever happen, since there are many "types" of Minature Horses. People seem to breed for the type they personally prefer, whether it be QH type, Arabian type, Thoroughbred type, Draft type, etc.

If breeders were forced to breed to the breed standard and not for type or the fad that is winning in the ring at that particular time, then maybe it would be possible to see a consistency in type/appearance, but I cannot see that happening.

The only thing that will bring AMHA closer to being a true breed is allowing all animals born to registered AMHA animals to retain their papers.

While they may not be allowed to show due to height requirements they would still be no matter what the height AMHA registered minis. Until this happens they are just as far from being a breed today as they were years ago.

AMHA is trying to make the Miniature horse a true breed, not just a height breed, where there is consitancy in the look.
Hi Riverdance,

So today, there are the various body builds (Arabian look and the Quarter Horse look, etc…) Both can be beautiful mini’s with Excellent conformation..... but they do have a different look.

Are you thinking the future strategy might be to select just one look (whatever that “look” may be)… and whenever that day comes…… the others would not be a “Miniature Horse Breed”?? Or, is the strategy to have several different “Miniature Horse Breeds”…. Each in its own registry (like Labs & Golden Retrievers)?

-Becky

The only thing that will bring AMHA closer to being a true breed is allowing all animals born to registered AMHA animals to retain their papers.
While they may not be allowed to show due to height requirements they would still be no matter what the height AMHA registered minis. Until this happens they are just as far from being a breed today as they were years ago.
Totally agree!
default_yes.gif

Mona and Bingo, I agree with you also.

And Becky, I think you hit the nail on the head.

We would no longer have an AMHA. We would need an AMAHA and an AMQHA and lots of others to go with the various types.

If the plan is to go with just one certain type, like what happens to be winning in the show ring at any given time, (and we have all seen that evolve and continue to change as time goes on) I think that would be tremendously unfair to those who breed for other types in nice correct little horses.

Susan O.

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back