Question about a gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonrockranch

Reaction score
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I can't remember seeing this thread on the forum before (doesn't mean it wasn't here, just didn't have a gelding at the time).
smile.gif

Can I put my year-old gelding in with a stallion after breeding season? I'm sure I couldn't put him in there during season, could I? He's only been gelded two weeks, so I still have him separated from the others, but I want to try and gently bring him in with the others. He was raised with a stallion until this year when spring and breeding season started, so I'd like to be able to put him back with this stallion. K.C. was always very good with Dream. Those two were together since Dream was about 2 weeks old, so if it's OK, I thought that would work well. I'll put him in with the girls later, when I'm sure his "swimmers" have all moved out!!
biggrin.gif

Any suggestions are welcome - Thanks!
saludando.gif

It all depends on the stallion and the gelding, there is no hard and fast rule to this. I have turned yearlings put with Stallions for the winter, and it has been fine, then again, the Stallion is fine, he's very even tempered. Can you run them on either side of a fence for a while, once he has come out from the mares?? That is what I do. It takes the edge off things.

Before I bought my yearling gelding he was in with a stallion. He had only been gelded for a while and the two had been together beforehand but they seemed to get along well.

Many stallions, like KC, tolerate the youngsters very well. But as they begin to reach maturity, it may be taking a risk to put them together. I would make sure they are not close to any mares, or KC will be protective. If the mares are not close, and KC knows this horse, I would attempt it, but keep and eye and make sure they are ok.

A stallion does not know another stallion from a gelding- they are all males, and a threat to them when it comes to their girls. Going from a weanling to now a yearling, it may make a difference in how well accepted he is.

Oh, NO!! I would NEVER put ANY male in with a stallion and his herd!! NEVER, no way!!

At this time we have several geldings and colts together (total of 8). the oldest stallion is only 2 years old and the oldest gelding is 6. they have been together for a year so we have no problems at this time. I would not introduce a new gelding to this group though as the 2 year old stallion has bred his 3 mares for the year and may not be as accepting.

I guess it would depend on the horses themselves.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Never put males together around the mares though- they would have to be seperated away from all the girls in their own area or the stallions will try to run off the others.... big fight..

I know people who run their stallions together when breeding season is over, and they are pastured way away from the mares. They have done this for years though, and the horses are used to it.

Some stallions just dont have the disposition to do it at all though.

When we went down to Kentucky for our family reunion (which was just as eventful as it sounds) i had no one here to take care of coco. I have a friend w/ so many horses thats you would not beleive. She pays someone to take care of them for her. Well she had no extra stalls so we put coco (who is a gelding) in w/ Bradly, her stud stallion. I was worried at first but it was either w/ bradly the 29inch horse ..or Marsha the Clydedale. lol

but coco and Bradly did fine. They played most of the time and chased each other (play chasing). They never met before but were fine. Feeding though from what i heard was horriable. Coco got mad bc Bradly was fed first and tried to eat his food. Then when they gave coco his own bucket for food ..all he wanted to do was eat bradlys and then bradly ate his food in his bucket. That i guess was the only problem.

Back