Question… Should I geld him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&HMinis

Reaction score
I have plans to geld “Pippin†over the winter. I’ve had a couple people ask me why? Well my response is that I really don’t have the need for a Stallion right now. However he is only one so it’s not like he is in his breeding prime. I’ll post another picture of him here; there is one below from his results.

What would you do? His temperament is outstanding, he’s not nippy or hard to handle. He can be full of himself but nothing that can’t be handled; basically he’s very easy going. So I guess I’m asking for a critic? Is he stallion material or would he be better as a gelding? Please remember that he isn’t in the best shape here. I have only started working him for the past 2 weeks. He needs to loose the belly and his neck needs to come down a little.

Pippin4.jpg

if you are not going to use him for breeding geld him.

I am gelding my Champion Farms Nighthawk son for my daugther to show he is beautiful and very correct and will make an awesome gelding and for me i love him enough to geld him - by that i mean that at my farm anyway i can only have a limited number of stallions - if i retain daughters they will eventually have to move on.. my geldings will be here forever

Well...I'm always ready to say geld, geld, geld...but he seems to be a very nice young stallion. I like his overall conformation very much. If you're not sure about gelding him, with him, I'd wait a bit to decide for sure.

Darn, that almost hurt! I LOVE geldings!!
laugh.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I like this horse alot because I also like his breeding and knowing the Walshes and what they produce I believe he is a good stallion prospect. That said I also know he will be a kick butt gelding like Kims Cole...... He has all his parts in the right place and with a little trimming will be competative as well. He has a beautiful topline as the Rocking horse Acres horses are noted for. He has a nice shoulder and hip, short back, his length of leg will come with a couple more years growth and he has the beautiful head that they are also noted to produce.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I think he's make a very nice stud. If he's going to stay laid back and not act studdy, I'd leave him intact for now. IMO

I say if you have the facilities to keep him happy. Keep him a STALLION he has wonderful conformation for such a young one. If he were mine he'd stay ALL BOY!

I like stallions and don't mind having them around. I've always had stallions around me. This is a really nice horse and I have mixed feelings about gelding.

I'd say if you are not ever going to use him for breeding purposes then to geld him.

But if you have facilities to house stallions and no problems on how to handle a stallion then leave him in tact.

I agree with everyone that he is a very nice horse. Yes he is stallion material, but...

There is more to this question than just is he stallion quality. What are your plans and goals for him. Do you want to be a breeding farm. Do you have other stallions that are nicer. Do you have mares for him to breed. Do you have safe accomodations for him. Are you prepared for him to live in a paddock or pasture by himself if you dont want to breed. Will he be frustrated.

All of these questons have to be considered as the mind of a horse is as important as the body. You need to do what will fit your plans and make this horse a pleasure to be around and for him to be happy.

A good stallion makes a really kick butt gelding.

Thanks to all that have replied so far.

I do have the facilities for a stallion. No I don't have a nicer stallion, I don't have any other stallions. I would like to pick up another broodmare in a couple years, and would consider standing to outside mares. I've dealt with that (the legalities) from having a QH stallion.

Originally I just didn't want to deal with stallion behavior. You see some at the shows that are big handfuls. Yesterday when I had him at the show he was just so good it started to make me think. I know with stallions that sometimes it's their breeding and sometimes it's the way they are brought up. Also, I know it was his first show, he has another in 2 weeks, he could be a little terror.

I think I'd like to keep him a stallion and show him as a 2 year old and go from there. Does that make sense?
smile.gif
guess I rambled a little bit....lol

[SIZE=14pt]Keep him entire as long as he continues to behave but you will see a difference in his behavior as he gets girls on his mind. I did with Sweet Tart. Very calm and quiet as a yearling and then this year as a two year old VERY full of his man-ness! He is the stallion I have been looking for for 20 years so he will stay a stallion no matter what.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Did you say he is only one in this pic? He is very nice if this is the case. I would wait also, you can always geld him later and once you do it is too late if you ever change your mind.

I had a 5 year old stallion that I bred once and even after that he was a teddy bear. Even when he got around my mare he'd just talk to her and that was it he was still very gentle to handle. So you just never know. He is a very pretty boy and if you might want to use him down the road it would be a shame to cut him then wish he were still a stallion in hind sight.

He looks to be very nice and since he has such a nice disposition and you have no other stallions why not keep him entire. We too have a stallion that is just a joy to be around that we once considerd gelding but knowing it wouldn't make him a better horse we chose not to geld him......but I love the stallions
wub.gif
Mary

I would keep him a stud, I think he is GORGEOUS! I ecspecially love his color, it is so rich!
new_shocked.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Just remember - Gelding CANNOT be Undone!!

I think stallions are just amusing! I love them. I think he very pretty and of course my favorite color. I love an awesome gelding too. I get tired of the old saying hes to nice to geld. Heck I want to see some of them awesome geldings out there instead of lets geld him, hes not nice enough. Hard decision hes very nice. What to do??? Im in the same boat with one ugghhh. I think ours would be a kick butt gelding, as hes hall of fame supreme champion at many A and R shows. He would be fun to show as a gelding. I cant decide either!

Gee guess I will be the one to stand out and get flamed.....He has a delightful head and overall is very smooth.....and to me for a yearling a bit too smooth and too "heavy"..... his throatlatch is quite thick.......his color is very nice (I am partial to bays) ....his pasterns and shoulder seem a bit upright to me....overall a gorgeous and pleasing to look at horse however if he is only a yearling he will get thicker with time..........and truly his breeding and papers are complete unkowns to me unlike a few who responded I am basing my opinion on the picture I am seeing.

He is a toss up ......I do not envy you making this decision
wink.gif

Guess I'm going to get flamed too......

My opinion is -- Your colt is very nice and looks very correct.....however, if the owner is questioning about gelding? Then it's a good indication that he should be gelded. (Now, WHEN is another story!
laugh.gif
)

MA

Latest posts

Back