quest wormer and mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevycouple

Reaction score
I just read in a topic not to give quest wormer to mini's and wondered why? I don't use that brand but would like to know why. Is there any other ones I should stay away from. Thanks everyone. I don't ever stick with the same ones so I want to make sure I don't use a harmful brand

Because to many minis have died from it so I have heard!
sad.gif

I use daily wormer and Ivercare.

Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:
Quest is a very very strong wormer that requires knowing the exact weight of a horse or you risk overdosing which will cause either brain damage (comas or siezures) or death to a smaller horse or pony.

Other wormers have a wider "fudge margin" incase of accidental overdose. Quest just does not have that. I also suspect that minis and ponies are just more sensitive to the type of poison that is used.

I'm posting all of this in "layman's" terms, but there has a been a detailed medical breakdown on wormer comparisons posted here in the past.

MA

It has much to do with the safety margin of Quest (Moxidectrin) vs the others. Moxidectrin only has a safety margin of 3 to 5 times overdose. When you compare that to others, the nearest is 20 times, and Ivemectrin is 60 times the amount before adverse reactions appear.

Now with that said, I will give you my opinions on Quest. I would NEVER use it on ANY horse. First, with minis, they seem to be much more sensative to it. I used it once when it first came out, and it caused my mare to abort. This was the only thing given to that mare, and she was preg checked by a vet the weekend before. It happened within 24 hours of giving it. Also, it was dosed at the correct dosage, so that was not a factor. And I was lucky, many minis have actually died from it.

Now why won't I give it to my full sized horses? Well, it has to do with the other animals, namely dogs, that are on the place. My dogs love to eat "horse apples". Well, when you deworm the horse, guess what goes out of the horse's body with the "horse apples"? Yep, the dewormer. And it was shown that many dogs react to Moxidectrin negetively. In fact, there was a product made by the manufactures of Quest called Pro-heart 6. The dewormer was supposed to be effective for 6 months at a time. It was made from Moxidectin. Guess what? Many dogs got very ill or even died and there was no way to get it out of their system. Further, I have heard of dogs dieing after a horse was dewormed with this because they ate the "horse apples".

I will not use a product that has so much questioning on the safety margin of it. Here is an article on dewormers and deworming program that talks about the safety margin of different products. http://www.equinenet.org/ernet/worms.html

So in short, why would I use such a product when I can find other products that are just as effective yet have a higher safety margin when used in a good deworming program that consists of rotating different types of dewormers?

Latest posts

Back