Quality enough for AMHA shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsrascal

Reaction score
My aunt has taken special interest in showing our yearling miniature since she is no longer healthy enough to ride and show her mare. I told her to take him to a few open shows for the experience, but she is really begging to take him to the AMHA show in April.
The show is over 2 hours away and is a lot more expensive than our local shows, so before I give her the go ahead to spend I thought I'd get an idea if he'd be of enough quality to be reasonably competitive in the Level 1 Ammy division.

I personally think he looks well enough other than he still has a little belly but I am behind the trends. I don't think she expects to win, but doesn't want to be embarrassed.

Pictures from today
602694_10151511283869551_763973158_n.jpg

207423_10151511301569551_1572528540_n.jpg

I think he is a cute lil guy. I think once he gets older he'll make a nice performance horse. I think your one thing that may go against you is he is pretty thick boned, which you don't see a whole lot of thicker boned horses winning in halter class, and he will just get better when he gets older. As long as you guys will have fun doing it thats all that matters, and you'll gain some mini friends.

I say go for it. Its only up to the judge and what he/she likes that wins the day of the show.

Ya never know unless you try!

Heres my broodmare, shes a older heavy style that wone everything last yr then took grands. I was up against some super nice (thinner) mares and was shocked I won.

7873860720_95e3d3e936_m.jpg

Perhaps at some point halter classes will be divided stock/hunter type for our bigger boned horses. I too show a stoutly built gelding and he did ok under some judges (he has great confirmation but is big boned) and not so well under others. Was told he was too coarse to compete at one show by one judge. It really all comes down to opinion.

Maybe its just me or the camera angle, but it looks like he toes out in the front. If you show him make sure you stand him up to minimize this look.

No he doesn't naturally toe out in front, but someone mentioned by PM his heels are not being cut down correctly and I think she's right which could be making it look worse.

Thanks for all the feedback, I think we will skip showing AMHA for now.

If there are any Pinto shows in your area, I would highly recommend trying those. Getting him registered should be no problem, the shows are fun, and you could even show him in trail as a yearling. In our area - and people in other areas I have "met" through the forum or FB say the same - the competitors are very friendly and supportive, which makes them great "entry level" shows. Or do local shows which we will be doing this year because so many in our area are adding mini divisions. Have fun with him, that is the main thing!

Latest posts

Back