Q about blue eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
Hi,

One of my mares was born with blue eyes. Now at 2 she has brown eys BUT they are not as dark brown as my other horses and have a blue lining around the edge a thin one but ti is there. It doesn't look strange but I you are specifiaclly looking for it you can see it!

Why is this?

I had another colt that was born with blue eyes and ended up with light brown, almost hazel eyes?

Is this the pinto gene in affect or what? Both horses were solid with a star and had one or more pinto parents!

Thanks!

I THINK (but am not positive) that several colors of horses do the eye color change from blue to brown or hazel.

thinking that champagne does this?? and maybe silver as well?

don't know about any others..

I don't think it is a pinto trait, however.

and again, I am not positive about this at all.

JJay

[SIZE=14pt]No pinto blue eyes stay blue. lots of foals like puppies and kittens are born with blue eyes and change colors.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My Silver colt still has blue-ish eyes- the filly has brown eyes yet her body colour is lighter than the colts- He's Silver Black, she will be pale Silver Dapple! Id this mare by your lovely Silver Bay Roan stallion???

Lyn a question. My 17 yr old Keesha has ice blue eyes. Kinder has blue eyes at 2 yrs old and he's a chestnut pinto and Casey (b/w) has his mother's ice blue also. I'm not real clear on your comment. Thanks.

Bluerocket said:
I THINK (but am not positive) that several colors of horses do the eye color change from blue to brown or hazel.
thinking that champagne does this?? and maybe silver as well?

don't know about any others..

I don't think it is a pinto trait, however.

and again, I am not positive about this at all.

JJay

424068[/snapback]

Yes Champagnes usually do change from blue to hazel/brownish I think they use the term amber colord for there eyes!! although some champagnes eyes stay blue because of the pinto gene(like Susans (horsehug) champagne stallion, Prince) Susan (horsehug) could help you!! she knows those champagnes well!

Do you know what color she is? Can you post pictures?

-Gage-

All the dilute genes can cause blue eyes at birth that darken up to a more normal shade as they age. Cream does this quite often and cream + silver horses almost always have eyes that are diluted to some degree.

What Lyn meant about pinto blue eyes is that they are born with them blue and they stay blue throughout the lifetime of the horse. Pinto blue eyes will never change to brown like newborn blues caused by one or more of the dilute genes.

Deb I'm pretty sure Lyn is saying that Pinto-Blue eyes, stay Blue if they are linked to the pattern ,in the way that double dilute eyes stay blue. Blue eyes are linked to Frame and Splash, but not Sabino. The blue eyes on a Champagne are not startling blue, as the blue eyes on my Silver colt are not. Eyes that are going to change are usually a more muted blue than eyes that stay blue.

Oops, Lewella, where did you come from?? Didn't see your post
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jane, I need some meds today. I miss my meds. Thanks for clarifying. After re-reading it ,it was clear. Sorry Lyn. I am such an idiot today. No...pinto eyes stay blue. Slinking away now.
517.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Senior moment all round- Lyn did not put any punctuation in!!!

Fiona, is it the Buckskin or Palomino or Silver?? All three colours will affect the eyes.

She was probably born with blue eyes, as Palominos often are- the single dilute factor can do that!! I have a palomino filly who I really thought was Cremello for TWO weeks
sad.gif
laugh.gif
BRIGHT blue eyes for that long. Only just now at a year are they going grey.

Latest posts

Back