PVC Training Cart Ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
Hi everyone: Okay, I am thinking well in advance of needing this, but since hubby will be retiring soon it would make a great "Honey To Do" item. I am looking for ideas or place to go to get a pattern to make a training cart out of PVC and wheels. Missy our new buckskin mini is coming along in her training and I would eventually would like to introduce her to the idea of having something behind her when she walks besides me. Any thoughts?

Are you wanting just something to get her used to having something behind her, or something you can ride in? Mindy Schroder's PVC travois is a simple and effective training aide. Two 1 1/2" sticks(10') of PVC(schedule 40), a 3/4" piece(4'), duct tape and a couple of screws for the traces. They learn the shafts, a little weight, a little something to pull, and noise.

As
Are you wanting just something to get her used to having something behind her, or something you can ride in? Mindy Schroder's PVC travois is a simple and effective training aide. Two 1 1/2" sticks(10') of PVC(schedule 40), a 3/4" piece(4'), duct tape and a couple of screws for the traces. They learn the shafts, a little weight, a little something to pull, and noise.
Do you have a picture or sketch of this finished?

Wow my past comes back to haunt me. Yes I built that many years ago. I would suggest not attaching singletree. Just let it rest in the tugs. If/when the horse spooks and takes off it will come off. I have had several of these turned into an IKEA kit in a matter of seconds.

duct taped
____________________l____________________
l
l a couple of small screws to attach traces on crossbar
____________________l____________________
l
3/4" piece duct taped on top of 1 1/2" (X pattern works well)​
Ends duct taped protection.
Here's a short video that Mindy Schroder did, and shows it well:

My hubby made one almost like Mindy's travois, we glued ours together. He used pvc corner fittings to attach what need to be on an angle.

Okay this is what my hubby made. She is still in the figuring out her blinkers and bridle stage. She was fine trying to make sure it fit, but when it moved a bit she freaked out. How do you get from the freak out stage to where she will accept it? Bear in mind this is the same little mini from my other post that we recently rescued and was very wild and has come a long ways

Attachments

• 69E852EA-2078-4534-BA19-99B89711108A.jpeg
    69E852EA-2078-4534-BA19-99B89711108A.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 7
To do this right I might want to get her finished off professionally. Does anyone know a trainer they can recommend for driving in Tucson, Arizona

Okay this is what my hubby made. She is still in the figuring out her blinkers and bridle stage. She was fine trying to make sure it fit, but when it moved a bit she freaked out. How do you get from the freak out stage to where she will accept it? Bear in mind this is the same little mini from my other post that we recently rescued and was very wild and has come a long ways
Just use the halter for now. Clip a lead on both sides of the halter and the two of you lead her until she gets used to something behind her. Easy on the pressure; be sure to release when she is calm or does the right thing. Don't try backing; be sure to get her ready to go when you can go straight.
It may be too much pressure for her, since she is new to being in a cared-for situation. Don't get impatient with her; she's had a lot of input in a relatively short time. I would try working with her yourself instead of sending her to a trainer at this point. If she is comfortable now with you, it might be too stressful for her to be away.
And, just keep in mind that not every horse is a driving horse. Some horses might work nicely visiting a school or nursing home, but don't have the right mind for driving.
Keep us posted on your progress.

First I would make sure she is comfortable with all aspects of ground driving before introducing shafts. Before even ground driving, I would desensitize to everything you can think of...being touched all over with a whip, rope, dragging a rope, then add anything scary, bottles, balls, trash bags, noises. The more work you do now, the better your relationship will be with her and the safer you both will be.

You can have her on a lead and have another person drag that behind her (not attached) at first to get used to the sound. Then progress to attaching it. Take everything slow adding the next step when she is ready.

Even though our mini horse rescues of the past I have had the privilege of taking some very special minis (not all but those with the right temperament) who came to us from not so nice situations and trained them to drive to add value to them in their new owners eyes to help ensure they will not end up in the same situation we found them in. In those years I had a job that allowed me the time to train, but in the very near future my extra time to train will be limited. I know the consistent time and experience that is required to do right by my little wild child and that I am only able to do the minimum right now. With the good Lord’s blessings I have found a trainer that came highly qualified and recommended by various sources. She is close enough that I can keep up with her progress. I am excited and sad (because I will miss her) But I know it will be so worth it. This will allow me the time I do have to work on click training her Buddy to do additional tricks. The future is bright. I will keep you updated on my little wild child’s progress.

Attachments

• 15A11F78-063E-4732-9B24-5CA6F77D3ADA.jpeg
    15A11F78-063E-4732-9B24-5CA6F77D3ADA.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 4
I know there are a few trainers around the Tucson area. Contact the Arizona Driving and Carriage Society. They can get you names and numbers of people in your area that train. Good luck!

I second BSharp Ranch's suggestion to contact the ADCS; you want a horse to have good solid 'all-around' training for driving; strictly show horse trainers aren't necessarily the best choice for that. As for the travois as a training tool....I built two based on the instructions in Doris Ganton's excellent book, using just two pieces of sch. 40 pvc of suitable length and a suitable length of dimension lumber attached with eye bolts as a cross -member to maintain the spacing and use as a place to attach the(slotted) traces. One was 'big horse' sized, the other 'mini horse' sized. Although I never had an issue with that design, in hindsight I would also second Al's suggestion not to use a singletree or similar piece to attach the traces, but simply let the travois ' shaft' fronts rest in the tug loops, so they would easily slide out backwards in an untoward event!

Latest posts

Back