PVC Training Cart Ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay this is what my hubby made. She is still in the figuring out her blinkers and bridle stage. She was fine trying to make sure it fit, but when it moved a bit she freaked out. How do you get from the freak out stage to where she will accept it? Bear in mind this is the same little mini from my other post that we recently rescued and was very wild and has come a long ways

Hold horse in left hand on lead, hold cart or pvc unit in right hand. Lead horse while dragging the unit. If that's too much pressure, have horse loose in pen & you drag the unit around horse, coming closer n farther, turns, zig zag, whatnot. You may want to touch horse with it, tap her sides & butt with it, gently "run" it into her.
Once ignoring it, try again in hand.
If fine with that, hold lead with right hand, but keep horse on left side. Use left hand to drag unit behind horse as you lead it. Easy to do with a mini, much harder with a pony or full sized horse. But, you could add pipe to extend length of the right shaft, one you hold, so unit is fully behind more easily.
Then you can bring it up & have horse between the shafts, wiggle it, have it tap horse's sides.
Slowly add in turns with it bumping horse.
You'll probably need the ends to bend up 45 degrees or it may jab into the ground. Once you have curved ends, you could ask horse to back up into it, then to continue backing, pushing it back.
Or, get a helper with all of that.

It doesn't have wheels, but works. Credit to Al B (I think) I made one to train my mini, you could put a single tree on it if you want too.
View attachment 42518
Also, an Idea for a harness rack. (mine)
View attachment 42519
This has wheels and was made from pipes bought in the plumbing section of a building store. The wheels I picked up from a dumpster!
DC - pole cart - new cart 2011 008.jpg

Well after month with the trainer it has been determined that my wild little Missy is just a little too wild and unpredictable for me to be a cart horse so she is going to work with her to find her just the right home. She also might possibly help me find a horse like my Cini that I lost recently. Take driving on Monday, visit kids on Tuesday and hiking with on Saturday. Miss my Cini

Attachments

• 79F5CA3A-A872-42D2-BF46-C53B53525D06.jpeg
    79F5CA3A-A872-42D2-BF46-C53B53525D06.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 5
Aw, sorry to hear that. Some minis just aren't cut out for driving. I hope you'll find her perfect person, and I hope you can your perfect mini. They are out there.

Well after month with the trainer it has been determined that my wild little Missy is just a little too wild and unpredictable for me to be a cart horse so she is going to work with her to find her just the right home. She also might possibly help me find a horse like my Cini that I lost recently. Take driving on Monday, visit kids on Tuesday and hiking with on Saturday. Miss my Cini

How old is the failed mini?
My 2nd mini didn't mentally chill out until recently, 5-6yrs old. My ridden gelding took until late 6yr. It could be yours needs more years to mature mentally before training.
Or she really isn't suited for it, like my mustang I had. Blatantly obvious from the get-go that she'd never be safe for a cart.

Latest posts

Back